C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Cooling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:29 PM
ForceableDoom
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Cooling Issue

So not to long ago i had an overheating issue with my Corvette. Couldn't figure out why it was overheating because the water pump and thermostat were working fine. After searching around the internet and these forums for awhile i read to flush the radiator. After flushing the radiator and feeling it with the proper amount of coolant it was still over heating. I was very frustrated with the whole ordeal. I don't know why i did what i did next but i ended up flushing it again and just putting in straight Water. Now for some reason that seamed to fix the overheating issue. Being the dumb person i was i forgot to come back later and put the proper antifreeze in later and this winter my system froze up ruining my water pump. So after replacing the water pump and thermostat (just to be safe) with a 187 Themo i filled it back up again with the proper Antifreeze mixture and low and behold I am overheating again. Anyone have any insight on this problem because that would just be great.

Something else, I am over 100k miles with the stock radiator but when flushing it comes out easily enough and there is no damage to the fins on the radiator at all, looks all good. No debris or anything came out. And like i said works fine with straight water running through it.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Zorlac
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure your radiator and condenser are clean? Mine looked fine but were pretty bad with debris. I used the HF air wand trick to blow them out.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:46 PM
ForceableDoom
3rd Gear

I'm pretty sure but at this point ill try anything, What does the trick consist of? Just blowing out the coils with an air wand?

Like i said before to when i run straight Water it doesn't over heat at all.

Last edited by ForceableDoom; 01-18-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You are not burping the cooling system, without burping it will overheat.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:06 AM
ForceableDoom
3rd Gear

Wow thanks guys for all the help, Bleeding the system from the two bleed plugs on top of the engine did the trick. I really appreciate the help here.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:32 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceableDoom
Something else, I am over 100k miles with the stock radiator
there's the issue

ac delco 20889 will fit most c5s

cooling efficiency goes down as the radiator gets plugged with crap in the fins. you also have internal scaling

when it's 100deg in august you may have issues again

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Cooling Issue

Quick Reply: C5 Cooling Issue