C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal flakes coming out left exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 06:24 PM
C5at16
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Metal flakes coming out left exhaust

So I got on my car today and noticed a lot of black smoke coming out the back. So I got home and had my brother rev the engine, and metal flakes where coming out of my left exhaust. No flakes in my oil so maybe my cats are going bad?
It is just my left exhaust to. Mods are A&A kit, borla exhaust and LT headers.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:46 PM
xomega
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya. Same here. Im betting bad cat
Old 12-26-2013, 08:53 PM
C5at16
Racer

Ok wanted to make sure it wasn't something serious
Old 12-26-2013, 09:11 PM
xomega
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly don't think that anything metal could pass through a catalytic converter. them honeycombs are really small.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:19 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my money is on the cats coming apart as well. with a A&A kit you are boosting up and heating the exhaust more then it was designed to, it will eventually come apart. might consider replacing the cats before it comes apart and chokes the exhaust, not good especially if its under boost.

cats can crack apart, might be worth a few min and pull them and look inside them.

Last edited by RedZMonte; 12-26-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I doubt is the cats if they became clogged they would start to glow red and you would smell them.
On the other hand what is the exhaust system , is it stainless? are the tips chrome or polished stainless. some exhaust system use stainless steel muffler shells but have steel or aluminum inners. Cheaper systems that have some stainless in them call them stainless systems. A good stainless system is guaranteed for life. IM guessing flakes at the exhaust tips is a product of a failing muffler.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:13 AM
cholmes729
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I doubt is the cats if they became clogged they would start to glow red and you would smell them.
On the other hand what is the exhaust system , is it stainless? are the tips chrome or polished stainless. some exhaust system use stainless steel muffler shells but have steel or aluminum inners. Cheaper systems that have some stainless in them call them stainless systems. A good stainless system is guaranteed for life. IM guessing flakes at the exhaust tips is a product of a failing muffler.
I agree on the Cats coming apart. Seen it on a Mid 90s chevy truck that ran farm gas. It blew metal flakes everytime you revved the engine.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:55 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

The left side Pre-Cat on my C4 broke up many years ago and the same thing happened.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:33 PM
C5at16
Racer

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I doubt is the cats if they became clogged they would start to glow red and you would smell them. On the other hand what is the exhaust system , is it stainless? are the tips chrome or polished stainless. some exhaust system use stainless steel muffler shells but have steel or aluminum inners. Cheaper systems that have some stainless in them call them stainless systems. A good stainless system is guaranteed for life. IM guessing flakes at the exhaust tips is a product of a failing muffler.
I don't know what kind of headers but I have borla polished stainless tips.

Get notified of new replies

To Metal flakes coming out left exhaust

Quick Reply: Metal flakes coming out left exhaust