C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:31 AM
FRC Carmichael
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TPMS Question

My car had several mods done to it before I purchased it, 1 of them being the dash cluster changed from a 99 base to a 2001 Z06. The previous owner just preferred the look of the Z cluster.
The wheels were also changed but the TPMS were not re-installed.
If I were to look at purchasing the sensors, do I buy the original style or for the 01 Z--which are considerably less money?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:46 AM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 547 Likes on 408 Posts

They have to be matched to the receiver.If your car is a 99 you will need the early style sensors,later style won't work.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

The TPMS sensors send their signal to the RFA in the trunk which then communicates the pressure reading via the serial bus with BCM and IPC. I would not think that just changing the IPC would preclude your having to use the earlier sensors since it just displays the info it gets. Worst case you get one later sensor and mount it and see if it will work, or borrow a wheel from someone to test. You cannot tell if it works until you get the car going. I think it is around 20 mph. My bet is that you have to go with the earlier sensors. Let us know what you do and how it works out.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:37 PM
YellowC5Alive
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by FRC Carmichael
My car had several mods done to it before I purchased it, 1 of them being the dash cluster changed from a 99 base to a 2001 Z06. The previous owner just preferred the look of the Z cluster.
The wheels were also changed but the TPMS were not re-installed.
If I were to look at purchasing the sensors, do I buy the original style or for the 01 Z--which are considerably less money?
You'd need to get the original style ones, check with the dealer https://www.gmpartsonline.net
Old 12-23-2013, 02:00 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 547 Likes on 408 Posts

You can get all 4 for about $140 f you want to use aftermarket sensors.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:08 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 639 Likes on 494 Posts

I agree with 8vette7 that it is a good time to upgrade to the new style '01-'04. I did that upgrade and it works well. I did it because I wanted the cheaper TPMS for a couple sets of wheels that I swap back and forth, and I wanted new Fobs. If you shop around you can get some pretty good prices. There is even a forum vendor that has the whole set of TPMS, receiver, Fobs in one package. You will need a different connector for the new receiver too.

When you get the new sensors (and/or receiver and fobs if you do the upgrade) you can check to see that they work before they are even mounted. You can train them to the car by holding the magnet to the sensors one at a time while you are sitting in the car and working the DIC to get the programming/training started. If you mount the sensors in the correct wheel for which you tested/trained them, you will not have to retrain them in the wheel. The sensors will read 0 psi and show errors for flat tires until you get them mounted and drive the car so they begin transmitting, or until you retrain them in wheel with pressure.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:35 PM
FRC Carmichael
Advanced

Originally Posted by jamieo
You can get all 4 for about $140 f you want to use aftermarket sensors.
I haven't seen the that low--do you have a vendor name??
Old 12-23-2013, 04:35 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Make sure the sensors will fit your wheels. Maybe that's why they were not reinstalled.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Here are some post that deal with the Tire Pressure Sensor and FOB UP-GRADES!!!

You will be MUCH happier with the newer stuff and its a SIMPLE up-grade. In fact Gene Culley www.gmpartshouse has a complete package that makes it even easier and less expensive.

It involves the Remote Function Actuator, new FOBs and New TPS. Thats it!

Give him a call!

- C5 Tire Pressure Monitor Sys Up-Grade 97-2000 to 2001 RFA System:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...e-sensors.html , http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...aded-tpms.html

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Question

Quick Reply: TPMS Question