C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS> ITM Uni-Sensors ’97, ’98, ’99 Owners Chime In

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default TPMS> ITM Uni-Sensors ’97, ’98, ’99 Owners Chime In

Getting ready to put on some new tires >“meats”< on the ride and going to swap out the TPMS’s while the meats are off the wheels. As I have a 1999, finding fresh (batteries) OEM TPMS’s is very difficult. Additionally, I do not want to swap out the receiver, TPMS’s and fobs as I do enjoy the features the ’99 Fobs.
I’m looking at a set of ITM Uni-Sensors and as I understand, you can NOT use the standard DIC tire training method (with large magnet) to train these ITM Uni-Sensors to each wheel.
Are there any 1997, 1998 or 1999 owners on the CF that installed these ITM Uni-Sensors in their wheels?
Did the tire shop “clone” your replacement sensors from your original sensors?
Did the tire shop use a magnet to activate your original sensors to capture the RF ID number to use and program into the ITM Uni-Sensors?
If you could post up your experience with ITM Uni-Sensors, it would be very helpful.
FYI> I have 18inch wheels on all four corners (Ace Alloy Slick wheels) and will be putting on the Continental Tires ExtremeContact DW’s, 265/35/18 up front and 295/35/18 and the back.
Goose
Old 12-22-2013, 05:04 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 547 Likes on 409 Posts

PM sent!
Old 01-06-2016, 07:25 PM
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by 69
Getting ready to put on some new tires >“meats”< on the ride and going to swap out the TPMS’s while the meats are off the wheels. As I have a 1999, finding fresh (batteries) OEM TPMS’s is very difficult. Additionally, I do not want to swap out the receiver, TPMS’s and fobs as I do enjoy the features the ’99 Fobs.
I’m looking at a set of ITM Uni-Sensors and as I understand, you can NOT use the standard DIC tire training method (with large magnet) to train these ITM Uni-Sensors to each wheel.
Are there any 1997, 1998 or 1999 owners on the CF that installed these ITM Uni-Sensors in their wheels?
Did the tire shop “clone” your replacement sensors from your original sensors?
Did the tire shop use a magnet to activate your original sensors to capture the RF ID number to use and program into the ITM Uni-Sensors?
If you could post up your experience with ITM Uni-Sensors, it would be very helpful.
FYI> I have 18inch wheels on all four corners (Ace Alloy Slick wheels) and will be putting on the Continental Tires ExtremeContact DW’s, 265/35/18 up front and 295/35/18 and the back.
Goose
Hello, As I have received a PM on these ITM Sensors, posting up my experience;

I do have the ITM sensors on my ride and they work perfectly!!!. Although I have these ITM's installed on all 4 wheels the training of these sensors is different than the OEM sensors.

The sensor difference is as follows;
The OEM sensor needs a magnet placed next to the valve stem to activate or train to the car/wheel position.
The ITM sensor uses "rapid" air pressure change to train to the car/wheel position, (NOTE the magnet will not work with the ITM sensor).

During my ITM training, I aired up the tires to 35 psi and activated the training in the DIC then rapidly deflated each tire after the horn beep. when all was said and done, my tires had about 15psi left in each tire which then was inflated to correct pressure.

One more comment, the car's learning mode does not allow for a "slow wheel learning" process, basically you need to move quickly to the next tire after the horn beep.

As I weigh 2 bills plus...I could not move around the car quick enough to deflate all 4 tires to complete the learning process and what I did was put the car up on tri-pods, removed all 4 wheels and tires, laid them in a row next to the car, activated learning process, LF tire, beep> RF tire beep>RR tire beep>
then reinstalled the wheels and tires, all is good now.

hope this helps.
Kevin

Last edited by 69; 01-06-2016 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added comment
The following 2 users liked this post by 69:
buckeye1872 (01-07-2016), Droberts (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Droberts
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the questions that I PM'd to Kevin,

Thanks for the reply Kevin,

That's good info. I'll just have to try learning my OEM/ITM sensor combo to see if it will work. I'm going to try using a magnet on the OEM and letting the air out of the RR where the ITM-Uni is. I will be supprised if it works.

I got shafted by Tire Discounters here in Cincinnati when I took my RR wheel in for a repair. The OEM TPMS actually came loose and fell into the tire. The sensor was still good, but they replaced it with the ITM-Uni and the OEM was trashed. When I went back with the Vette they blamed weak batteries in the OEMs for their not being able to activate the sensors, but the system was working fine before. It was obvious they were clueless as to what to do.

Now I have to decide weather to get three more ITM's or send in a set of OEMs I have for battery replacement when I get tires in a few months. I'm leaning toward using the OEMs since they are easier to learn.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Last edited by Droberts; 01-07-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:15 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I have the ITM sensors. Releasing air pressure allows the sensors to sync. I was able to do all 4 tires on the first shot but I moved quickly...
Originally Posted by Droberts
Here is the questions that I PM'd to Kevin,
The following users liked this post:
Droberts (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Droberts
Instructor

Originally Posted by tabbruzz
I have the ITM sensors. Releasing air pressure allows the sensors to sync. I was able to do all 4 tires on the first shot but I moved quickly...
Thanks tabbruzz,

Would you know if the system could learn a combination of OEM and ITM sensors?
Old 01-08-2016, 09:42 PM
SPEED750
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would look into the upgrade to newer parts. I have a 97 and have been looking around. You can find a newer receiver for $50 on eBay. Then 2 key fobs are $25 on amazon . Then tpms are like $30 a piece . You can do the whole change over $200 if you shop smart.
Droberts (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 09:30 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I am not sure about that. I think so. I know I my car did sync to my itm and OEM but I currently use 4 itm right now.
Thanks tabbruzz,

Would you know if the system could learn a combination of OEM and ITM sensors?
Droberts (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Droberts
Instructor

Originally Posted by tabbruzz
I am not sure about that. I think so. I know I my car did sync to my itm and OEM but I currently use 4 itm right now.
OK, thanks. I'll give it a try and post the outcome.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Droberts
Instructor

Originally Posted by SPEED750
I would look into the upgrade to newer parts. I have a 97 and have been looking around. You can find a newer receiver for $50 on eBay. Then 2 key fobs are $25 on amazon . Then tpms are like $30 a piece . You can do the whole change over $200 if you shop smart.
Thanks, are the key fobs necessary to do the TPMS upgrade?
Old 01-09-2016, 08:13 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590682328

Bought these off ebay and have no issues with them
Droberts (01-09-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 11:19 AM
Droberts
Instructor

Default Success learning combo of OEM and ITM Sensors

OK, thanks. I'll give it a try and post the outcome.
I successfully learned three OEM and one ITM-Uni sensors to the TPMS system. I used a magnet to learn the OEM and rapid tire deflation to learn the ITM and they all beeped confirmation.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:47 PM
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran

I successfully learned three OEM and one ITM-Uni sensors to the TPMS system. I used a magnet to learn the OEM and rapid tire deflation to learn the ITM and they all beeped confirmation.
That's great news that a mixed configuration of wheel sensors will work as this now provides options for someone faced with replacing the sensors!
Cheers
Goose

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS> ITM Uni-Sensors ’97, ’98, ’99 Owners Chime In

Quick Reply: TPMS> ITM Uni-Sensors ’97, ’98, ’99 Owners Chime In