C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mcleod rxt and stock flywheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 08:14 PM
rcrflyby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mcleod rxt and stock flywheel ?

Anyone done this before? I did some searching and only found one thread about it. Looked like the clutch disk had some overhang on the inner of the flywheel. I have no problem buying a billet steel flywheel but i dont wanna waste the money if i can just get the stock one resurfaced. thanks!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:15 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

We have always used their flywheel with the RXT. Are you sure the gold anodized ring bolts up to the stock flywheel.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:08 AM
rcrflyby
Instructor

I'm not sure. The main thing I'm worried about is getting the clutch/flywheel assembly to balance like the factory unit.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Local guy bought and RST and just had his Stock Flywheel resurfaced, no issues what so ever. I had an RXT installed, same shop within a couple weeks, was told I could use the stock Flywheel as well. In the end I went with a new flywheel and had the unit balanced before shipping to the shop as a unit.

PC
Old 12-01-2013, 10:19 AM
SilverZ06NC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the RXT With a billet flywheel. I had a local shop balance the whole setup. I was only 8 grams out, I know it is right now. From my understanding people swap it to a new flywheel that is SFI approved.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:49 PM
rcrflyby
Instructor

the factory flywheel/clutch from what i understand is balanced with the engine from the factory with the weights that go in the 12 holes near the ring gear on the flywheel. Ive heard of vibration issues from 0 balanced units and am trying to figure out how to address it the best. Like i said i dont mind buying a new flywheel but i just want it to be balanced like the factory unit when im done.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:13 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

My response is based on having an RST installed , and my skill set is low.

my 03 was externally balanced, I was expecting a zero balance situation from research trying to understand the work. I called McLoed a couple of times and was told the friction contact would have an overlap on the stock flywheel but that it would be fine. I went with a McLoed flywheel.

I have no idea how to balance the stuff, and still don't. Two disks would seem to complicate stuff. I had some venders say no balance work was needed because the parts come with good tolerances.

I decided to have mine balanced at the shop McLoed uses, at their suggestion, since the "factory balance" wait for the work was well booked. I would assume the no balance needed guys were talking about a zero balance set up, since that advice wouldn't work for me. Or at least at my level of understanding. For all I know, the balance work could have just entailed moving the weights from the old to new parts.

I would not hesitate to call McLoed for any concerns. They were easy to get on the phone, and very helpful, even knowing I was not a customer, just a guy trying to figure things out.

Still trying to find out how to balance a two disk clutch.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:52 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rcrflyby
I'm not sure. The main thing I'm worried about is getting the clutch/flywheel assembly to balance like the factory unit.
spend $60 at the machine shop?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:26 AM
rcrflyby
Instructor

^ was quoted $250+
Old 12-05-2013, 12:36 AM
rcrflyby
Instructor

Originally Posted by strand rider
My response is based on having an RST installed , and my skill set is low.

my 03 was externally balanced, I was expecting a zero balance situation from research trying to understand the work. I called McLoed a couple of times and was told the friction contact would have an overlap on the stock flywheel but that it would be fine. I went with a McLoed flywheel.

I have no idea how to balance the stuff, and still don't. Two disks would seem to complicate stuff. I had some venders say no balance work was needed because the parts come with good tolerances.

I decided to have mine balanced at the shop McLoed uses, at their suggestion, since the "factory balance" wait for the work was well booked. I would assume the no balance needed guys were talking about a zero balance set up, since that advice wouldn't work for me. Or at least at my level of understanding. For all I know, the balance work could have just entailed moving the weights from the old to new parts.

I would not hesitate to call McLoed for any concerns. They were easy to get on the phone, and very helpful, even knowing I was not a customer, just a guy trying to figure things out.

Still trying to find out how to balance a two disk clutch.
Its not so much balancing the clutch, its balancing the clutch and flywheel assembly. What i was going to do is take the factory flywheel and factory clutch bolted together, and the mcleod clutch/flywheel bolted together and get them balanced identical. Id get them to tell me (or i could probably see it) where the weight is that they added to match the stock assembly and line it up on the engine like the factory setup. Also i could probably mark how the factory flywheel is when it comes off the engine and take it and the aftermarked flywheel to the machine shop to match them up. Since the weights are on the outside of the flywheel, its gonna make the most difference in the balance of the engine compared to the clutch.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:11 AM
racebum
Race Director

^ was quoted $250+
that's not even in the ballpark of reasonable costs. the best engine shop in the portland vancouver area is sommers race engines and machine. they charge $100

hutchins machine was $60-80

you need to call around, it's not at all a hard thing to do, similar to balancing a tire only you drill out a gram or so at a time until it's at zero. all they need is the pressure plate and flywheel
Old 12-05-2013, 01:14 AM
rcrflyby
Instructor

I'm not zero balancing. Its adding weight to match the stock unit.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:28 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I would never recommend running an aggressive friction material ie ceramic or sintered iron with a cast flywheel as it can explode if gotten hot enough...
That is why we only sell Monster's with a billet steel flywheel, not worth loosing a leg over
Old 12-05-2013, 03:12 PM
racebum
Race Director

I'm not zero balancing. Its adding weight to match the stock unit.
it's the same process. you measure the old setup, see how many grams out it is, mark the location and balance the new one the same way. you just have to be 100% sure to mark where you bolt the pressure plate and flywheel to make sure your out of balance is in the exact same spot
Old 12-09-2013, 01:29 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
I would never recommend running an aggressive friction material ie ceramic or sintered iron with a cast flywheel as it can explode if gotten hot enough...
That is why we only sell Monster's with a billet steel flywheel, not worth loosing a leg over
Agree 100%
Old 12-10-2013, 12:21 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks for the quick balance explanation. I was picturing a rotating rig.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

I was running a RST with stock flywheel. The clutch and flywheel were not balance together, but the flywheel was resurfaced. It chattered from day one and I think it killed my pilot bearing due to the two not being balanced together.

This time I went with a RXT, Billet Aluminum Flywheel, and I had them balance the two together in house.

Get notified of new replies

To Mcleod rxt and stock flywheel ?

Quick Reply: Mcleod rxt and stock flywheel ?