C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Line D4 or D6 for my automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Old Horsepower
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Red Line D4 or D6 for my automatic?

Wanted to try Red Line ATF at next fluid change. Any opinions on which
is better - D4 or D6? Is the D6 too thin for my 99 automatic transmission?
Old 11-21-2013, 02:34 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

I don't know about D6, but I have been running D4 for several years, two changes so far, B&M aluminum pan with three extra quarts capacity.

No issues.

Red Line says D4 for both the manual and the auto transmission in their application guide.

Keep in mind that if you simply drain and replace the fluid by removing the stock pan, only about half the fluid is changed because about half remains in the torque converter and other works.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:20 AM
Old Horsepower
Instructor

Thank you for the reply. Yes I think I will go for the D4. I know about the partial fluid change with pan
and filter removal. But that's ok. I figure after a few times of doing that it should be ok. And I did buy
a bigger pan. Been waiting to install it when I do transmission service. I think the Dexron VI is for better
mileage. And I'm more concerned with protecting the transmission. OK thanks again.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

You are welcome.

When filling the trans, I use a suction gun to suck the new fluid from a large clean container. I fill the trans to overflow, then start the engine and fill to overflow again. I leave the side plug open to allow excess fluid to dribble out as the trans warms up. I set the DIC to trans temp, and when trans temp hits 122, put the plug in the side of the pan BEFORE shutting down the engine.

According to my FSM, a drain and refill takes 5 quarts, a full rebuild 10.8 quarts.

If you put on a pan with 3 extra quarts capacity, then the mix will be 8 /13.8 = 58% D4 fluid.

Using similar analysis, after a second change, the ratio will be 82% D4 and after a third change, 92% D4.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Old Horsepower
Instructor

Perfect instructions! Some people think its too complicated and needs to be done by a shop.

Get notified of new replies

To Red Line D4 or D6 for my automatic?

Quick Reply: Red Line D4 or D6 for my automatic?