C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power seat not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Tanner98
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power seat not working

My drivers side '98 C5 seat is not working forward or back or front up and down. It once moved all the way forward while driving after hitting a bump. I pulled it out today and do not see anything that looks wrong. Factory manual is not much help on troubleshooting since I do not have all the fancy code readers.

Anyone have any advice on how to troubleshoot these with more simple volt meters and such.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:24 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what code readers? Everything you need is on the DIC, along with a manual to read the codes? Maybe post your DIC codes and someone can help you.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Tanner98
Cruising

I will have to plead ignorance. (new to corvettes) What is the DIC. Is that the same as the DTC that the shop manual talks about, which I still don't know yet what that is either. Is this the little display line on the dash below the tach/speedo? If so there is nothing there about seats problems.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:27 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi Tanner. The DIC is the Driver Information Center. C5 and newer Vettes have a built in computer diagnostic tool so external devices are not needed. Here is the procedure and a list of C5 codes. Simple to use, simple to track. H means History (happened in the past and may or may not be useful, for example, an unplugged battery will cause codes) and C mean Current (primarily the most important but can be used along with H codes to figure out problems). http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm The codes will give you/us a path to help determine where the problem is located. With a seat issue, I would look at either a bad connection under the seat, a shorted connection or a blown fuse. The codes will point you where to begin the detective work.
The following 3 users liked this post by CactusCat:
Beer:30 (05-31-2019), chaz2000 (04-04-2021), ckreider33 (04-14-2024)
Old 01-20-2014, 11:47 AM
RDPinc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello CC...thanks for the code link...I've a 1998 and am having driver side seat issues...hope this can help me before I go into it.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:15 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

NP, the seats (esp the driver seat) on the C5 have some inherent issues. The way they were assembled, the connection wires under the seat can get bent, crimped or pinched and then the problems start. Not that hard to take a C5 seat out, just 4 nuts and carefully unplug the connectors under the seat while removing. The trick to removing the seat is to get it as high as you can and as far forward. If the seat still moves, I take the front two nuts off first, then move the seat forward and up, then take the back two nuts off (10mm if I remember correctly- deep socket helps). Shouldn't take to long to figure out the problem. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
ckreider33 (04-14-2024)
Old 01-22-2014, 09:53 AM
SMaster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanner98

Anyone have any advice on how to troubleshoot these with more simple volt meters and such.
Here's what was wrong with mine. See the broken black ground wire?

I removed the seat, unplugged the module and found this.

HTH
The following 2 users liked this post by SMaster:
chaz2000 (04-04-2021), ckreider33 (04-14-2024)
Old 01-22-2014, 12:53 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Sounds like there is a connection issue if the seat moved by itself after hitting a bump. Remove the seat, it's easy: 4 bolts and a connector. Lay the seat down on its back and take a look at the connectors/terminals. You can always test the connector in the car for the proper feeds.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:59 PM
Charliejadk
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this is old, but how do I remove the seat if I can't get it to move forward? It's all the way back and I can't access the rear nuts.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:44 AM
mattba
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Charliejadk
I know this is old, but how do I remove the seat if I can't get it to move forward? It's all the way back and I can't access the rear nuts.
Doing a thread search I found the following instructions. Hopefully it is easier than it sounds as it sounds like a royal pain!
I have in the past found other suggestions that include removing four torque screws from under the seat that holds the seat to the rails but they are hard to see and hard to get to from underneath. I have the same problem and I have been procrastinating dealing with it but need to deal with it soon. Tired of driving it in the all the way back position!

From the service manual:

"If the power seat motor is inoperative and the rear adjuster nuts are not accessible perform the following steps.
Power up and raise the front of the power seat to gain access to the forward motor bracket.
Reach under the seat and cut the tie strap attaching the front motor bracket to the torque tube.
Bend the bracket ends inward and slide the bracket off the adjuster transmissions.
Pull the forward motor cables from the adjusters.
Insert one end of a removed cable into a low speed drill and insert the other end into the adjuster.
With the low speed drill move the adjuster forward, alternating sides, until the rear adjuster nuts are exposed."

Or option 2:

"If the seat adjuster is inoperative and the rear adjuster nuts are not accessible perform the following steps:
Remove the recliner handle. Refer to Seat Back Recliner Handle Replacement - Front .
Remove the seat side trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Front Seat .
Reach under the seat cushion and cut the seat cover tie string (1) at the front center of the seat cushion.
Lift the seat cushion cover and foam to access the 4 seat cushion to frame attaching bolts.
Remove the seat cushion to frame attaching bolts.
Cut the tie straps mounting the lumbar pump pouch and reposition the pump and pouch up through the seat support wires.
Remove the memory seat control module from the seat.
Disconnect the seat belt harness rosebud clip (drivers seat).
Disconnect the electrical connectors.
Remove the seat. "

Last edited by mattba; 05-30-2019 at 04:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mattba:
Beer:30 (05-31-2019), ckreider33 (04-14-2024), ScubaSammi (11-27-2020)
Old 05-30-2019, 07:52 AM
Charliejadk
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for the info!

I was actually able to remove the seat with a ratchet wrench. It was very tight, but I managed.
ckreider33 (04-14-2024)
Old 05-30-2019, 04:50 PM
mattba
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Charliejadk
Thank you for the info!

I was actually able to remove the seat with a ratchet wrench. It was very tight, but I managed.
Sounds like a much easier option that I will attempt!
Old 10-29-2019, 01:47 AM
tondelayo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here was my answer to C5 driver's memory seat erratic or no operation:

https://www.corvette-web-central.com...-problems.html

Look for the post by "Anonymous", "The seat fix" on the page.

Took me a couple of hours this afternoon, most of which was getting the seat in and out.

If you don't have a Torx 9 driver [I'd never needed one so small before and don't have it], you can use pliers or small nose channel locks to grab the torx heads on the seat motor control end plate, or a flat-head jeweler's screwdriver to wedge into the torx opening to loosen and re-tighten.

I know this is a 6-year-old thread, I'm putting the info here because the fix worked for my C5 memory seat and I didn't find it on this forum.
Hope this helps someone,
Sal

Last edited by tondelayo; 10-29-2019 at 01:54 AM. Reason: fix spelling errors
ckreider33 (04-14-2024)
Old 02-03-2020, 10:55 AM
cjn1008
Heel & Toe

Default C5 Power Seat issues

My C5 Vert Drivers seat is not working correctly. The memory will “sometimes” return to the normal set driving position, often it moves forward some but not to the complete forward position. If you try and move the seat forward with the switch, it moves “some” and stops. You can continue to move the seat forward with the switch and again it moves a few inches and stops. Often takes moving the switch forward numerous times to get back to the driving position. Suggestions?

Get notified of new replies

To Power seat not working

Quick Reply: Power seat not working