C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key fob issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Vette 89
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default key fob issue

Hi,

My # 1 fob will no longer open either doors all other functions work OK.

My # 2 fob will do nothing even after a new battery... so I thought I would re-program it, going through the steps it says to program # 1 fob first... so when I press both lock & unlock buttons on # 1 fob the door relays go crazy ?? I can't get any further with the process to allow me to work on # 2 fob.

At this point I don't know if I have bad remote or the door control relays are bad, although like I said they clicked when trying to program fob # 1 so maybe it's just the remote.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Nigel
Old 11-06-2013, 04:46 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

It doesn't matter which fob you program first. No matter what it says on the back, the first fob trained becomes #1 fob in the car memory. So you can program your fob marked '2' first and use it as #1 if you want. You can program two #2's and one will act as #1 and the other as #2. The numbers 1 and 2 on the back only assist you in determining which one your using, but are the same internally. I'd program the other fob you have first and if it works correctly, you'll know you have a bad fob in the other one. Since you don't say a year of car, I'll assume you have the 04 mentioned in your profile. You can buy a fob for the 01-04 models on Ebay for $10 bucks.

By the way, your #2 fob you mentioned changing the battery in may not need to be retrained, it may just need to be resynched. Try holding the lock and unlock buttons for several seconds (without entering the fob training program) near the car and see if the horn beeps to signify resynch success.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 11-06-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:42 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

most parts stores/dealerships have a testing station for the key fobs...my 1st step would be testing the fobs and eliminate them as the problem. try fob #2 and see if it programs.. you can allways swap the backing plates if you want the #1 to be seat 1 and #2 to be seat 2. also like stated above try the Resync on the fob without "Programming" them.
Transmitter Synchronization

Resynchronization may be necessary due to the security method used by the remote keyless entry system. The transmitter does not send the same signal twice to the receiver.
The receiver will not respond to a signal that has been sent previously. This prevents anyone from recording and playing back the signal from the transmitter.
Resynchronization may be necessary under the following conditions:
The battery in the transmitter is very weak.
The battery in the transmitter was replaced.
The battery in the vehicle has been in a low or no charge condition for an extended period of time.
In order to resynchronize the transmitter with the receiver, perform the following steps:
1. Stand within 1.5 meters (5 ft) from the vehicle.
2. Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter for 7-10 seconds.The door locks should cycle in order to confirm synchronization.

S
Old 11-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Vette 89
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed the batteries in the fobs even though they they checked out OK, now have one fob working now so assume the other is junk !! Ordered a couple more from the Bay !!

Cheers
Nigel
Old 11-10-2013, 08:55 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

I have to assume you are not talking about an 89 here.

Get notified of new replies

To key fob issue

Quick Reply: key fob issue