C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Widely Common No Start Problem...Need Some Help

Old 11-05-2013, 04:54 PM
whiteboy444
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Widely Common No Start Problem...Need Some Help

Background....

A few months ago, the wife and I took the Vette out and it ran great. When I was getting ready to go out later that evening, I felt some resistance in the ignition cylinder, like something was preventing the key from going all the way in. I took the key out, but it back in with no problem, but the car wouldn't start. I had power for all accessories but the car wouldn't start. It only had one code and that was BCM 40 -2723, Pass Key Circuit. After reading some excellent threads on this site, I determined it was the ignition cylinder, had one ordered, keyed for my key and the car started right up. Everything was gravy until this past Friday....

On Friday, while driving I noticed the security light stayed on. Car started and ran fine. Saturday afternoon while I was driving back to work, the security light went out. When I tried to start the car to leave for the day, nothing, nada.... Just like what had happened in the paragraph above, except no resistance when putting the key in the ignition....

The battery was getting up there in age, so I pulled it to see to get it tested to see if maybe the battery was causing the problem. Installed the battery but same condition and code persists. Oh yeah, and I tried the spare key too....

I'm getting ready to go work on it in my work parking lot (where she broke down at) cuz I really don't wanna have it towed home.... With that said, here's my game plan....

Going to clean the pellet in the key with electronics cleaner and give that a go for 5-10 tries. If that doesn't work, I'm going to remove the ignition switch to see if there is dirt/grime on the contacts per Bill's thread/sticky.... If that checks out okay, perhaps the TDR? I did a lot of reading but I don't know how to physically "jump" the relay, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to electronics. If the ignition switch looks good, I think I'm going to buy another TDR, they can't be more than $20-30 right? and give that a try....

If the car won't start after all this, any other ideas? Perhaps the ignition cylinder met an untimely death? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Oh yeah, my vette is a 2004 AT.... Thanks!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 PM
whiteboy444
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Found the problem. The one of the two white wires going into the plastic piece on the ignition cylinder is broke. Apparently I coulda done a better job installing the ignition cylinder. Oh well, I guess this is the stupid tax I get to pay haha!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Widely Common No Start Problem...Need Some Help