C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Done gone crazy???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:06 PM
sierra1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Done gone crazy???

The headlights on my 02 Z are going crazy. Today I turned on the lamps and could not get the doors to close all the way when I turned them off. I cycled the switch several times to no avail....they seem to close about 1/2 way and stop. I then manually closed the doors and all seemed well. When I fired the car back up, the doors opened automatically even though the headlamp switch was in the off position??? Every time I manually closed the doors, they automatically go to the open position when I cycle the key to the on position....the lamps are not on unless the switch is in the on position. What might be causing this issue?
Old 11-01-2013, 07:13 PM
FNFastZ06
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't think that's a gear issue, but I may be wrong. I think the cause of the lights opening upon start without the switch being used is due to the Headlight Control Module being bad. Mine did that too. Replaced it and no issue.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:51 PM
c5austin
Racer

Although I have to ask, because a buddy had similar problems, do you have HID's? When you start messin with HIDs without the proper functioning resister your headlights flip out. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The headlight assembly opens and closes via the headlight control module. It senses a specific TORQUE applied to the motor when the headlight module hits the stops. There are white plastic stops in the assembly that need to be in good shape for proper operation

When the headlight module hits the stop, the motor torques and draws additional current. The headlight control module senses that current draw and stops driving the motor.

If your module is bad, it will fail to drive the headlight properly.

Remove the control module and examine the back of it and see if it has separated allowing moisture to get in.

Bill
Old 11-03-2013, 07:31 AM
sierra1
Instructor

Originally Posted by c5austin

Although I have to ask, because a buddy had similar problems, do you have HID's? When you start messin with HIDs without the proper functioning resister your headlights flip out. Just my 2 cents
YES I DO! And all of this started when I installed the HID's
I did receive a resistor with the kit, just no instructions of where to put it. Do you happen to know, or can you find out, where your buddy put his resistor?

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:33 AM
sierra1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The headlight assembly opens and closes via the headlight control module. It senses a specific TORQUE applied to the motor when the headlight module hits the stops. There are white plastic stops in the assembly that need to be in good shape for proper operation

When the headlight module hits the stop, the motor torques and draws additional current. The headlight control module senses that current draw and stops driving the motor.

If your module is bad, it will fail to drive the headlight properly.

Remove the control module and examine the back of it and see if it has separated allowing moisture to get in.

Bill
Ok Bill, I'll try that...thanks for the tip.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 AM
sierra1
Instructor

Anyone happen to know the headlight control module part #?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:32 AM
c5austin
Racer

Originally Posted by sierra1
YES I DO! And all of this started when I installed the HID's
I did receive a resistor with the kit, just no instructions of where to put it. Do you happen to know, or can you find out, where your buddy put his resistor?

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!
Ok, next question I have for you is where you bought it, these resistor are quite cheaply made and the only place that we found that worked was that JW motors(or something like that). We put his on the driver side after like the 3rd resistor we tried and had not had a problem yet! Hope that helps
Old 11-07-2013, 02:41 AM
sierra1
Instructor

Originally Posted by c5austin
Ok, next question I have for you is where you bought it, these resistor are quite cheaply made and the only place that we found that worked was that JW motors(or something like that). We put his on the driver side after like the 3rd resistor we tried and had not had a problem yet! Hope that helps
Any idea where you all installed the supplied resistor? Another board member told me to hook it in between the factory harness and the ballast....but didn't expound as to which wires I should hook it into. My guess would be the power wires from both the factory harness and the ballast. Anyone else have an opinion they care to share???
Old 11-07-2013, 01:35 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Most of the cheap HID kits, (like mine), require relays, and resistors. Another fix is to simply switch to high beams before turning off your ignition.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:16 PM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you bought a cheapo HID kit, then that's your problem right there. Don't chase your tail trying other possible causes, especially since this starting occuring after you installed them. Either find the instructions and install them correctly with the resistor or buy a better kit that comes complete. If you could shed some light on what kit you bought that might help others to get you fixed.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:55 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Check your bump stops, those white plastic things inside the light housings. This sounds like the common problem on here referred to in multiple threads (search is your friend, even though the one on here is not very good). My car had the exact same problem and it was cured with new bump stops bought from a forum vendor on here. Try to solve the simple things that go wrong before looking for more complicated solutions.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:23 AM
sierra1
Instructor

Originally Posted by MG RED 99
If you bought a cheapo HID kit, then that's your problem right there. Don't chase your tail trying other possible causes, especially since this starting occuring after you installed them. Either find the instructions and install them correctly with the resistor or buy a better kit that comes complete. If you could shed some light on what kit you bought that might help others to get you fixed.
Nobody said it was a cheapo kit, matter of fact it's the one that Corvette Mods sells tons of them. I'll give them a call today and see if they can shed some light on the problem.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:56 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Nobody said it was a cheapo kit, matter of fact it's the one that Corvette Mods sells tons of them. I'll give them a call today and see if they can shed some light on the problem.
I've got an extra Headlight control module, if you need one, email me here and we will work out a price.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:01 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I'll give them a call today and see if they can shed some light on the problem.
Nice!

Get notified of new replies

To Done gone crazy???

Quick Reply: Done gone crazy???