C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

was the factory CAI system ever upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:43 AM
camburger
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Default was the factory CAI system ever upgraded?

Since the factory CAI became known as relatively inefficient by performance enthusiasts, were there any GM upgrades throughout the course of the C5 years that are now notably more worthy parts for a "factory upgrade" verse buying a CAI setup from the after market?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes. The base factory airbox was upgraded with the addition of a frontal opening in '00 or '01. Then when the Z06 was introduced, the airbox was further modified with a much larger frontal opening and the front bumper foglight shrouds were removed to allow cool air to enter the engine compartment.
A very popular upgrade that can be done to a base C5 is to add the Z06 airbox and open-up or completely remove the foglight shrouds. That is what I did since I wanted to maintain a stock look.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:08 PM
ace147
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Yes. The base factory airbox was upgraded with the addition of a frontal opening in '00 or '01. Then when the Z06 was introduced, the airbox was further modified with a much larger frontal opening and the front bumper foglight shrouds were removed to allow cool air to enter the engine compartment.
A very popular upgrade that can be done to a base C5 is to add the Z06 airbox and open-up or completely remove the foglight shrouds. That is what I did since I wanted to maintain a stock look.

15 minute install.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:03 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Better yet, look up "zip-tie" mod on here.

Get notified of new replies

To was the factory CAI system ever upgraded?

Quick Reply: was the factory CAI system ever upgraded?