C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Replacing DRL Sockets

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:24 PM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Need Help Replacing DRL Sockets

As far as splicing goes, was going to use 3M T-Taps. Seems easiest. Not a big fan of solder on automotive use....vibration...since it's brittle & can break.
Anyone know what guage wire on the DRL sockets?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 PM
ace147
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LIGHTNING
As far as splicing goes, was going to use 3M T-Taps. Seems easiest. Not a big fan of solder on automotive use....vibration...since it's brittle & can break.
Anyone know what guage wire on the DRL sockets?
What are you trying to fix? If the sockets are brittle and you want new, then do NOT splice. Splicing is just asking for trouble not to mention ugly and wrong way to fix. Depopulate the socket and simply install a new one. You need a really small drill bit to shove into the socket and release the pin latch to depopulate. Fairly easy. 5 mins per socket.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:25 PM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ace147
What are you trying to fix? If the sockets are brittle and you want new, then do NOT splice. Splicing is just asking for trouble not to mention ugly and wrong way to fix. Depopulate the socket and simply install a new one. You need a really small drill bit to shove into the socket and release the pin latch to depopulate. Fairly easy. 5 mins per socket.
"Depopulate the socket"?? Never heard of that!
I installed new housings, & want to replace OEM bulbs with Switchback LED's, since the sockets were kinda burnt. So I got new sockets & am about to splice them in place. Plan on using Dorman 85462 Blue 14-18 Gauge Weatherproof Wire Splice block.

Last edited by LIGHTNING; 10-23-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:52 PM
ace147
Advanced

"Depopulate the socket"?? Never heard of that!
I installed new housings, & want to replace OEM bulbs with Switchback LED's, since the sockets were kinda burnt. So I got new sockets & am about to splice them in place. Plan on using Dorman 85462 Blue 14-18 Gauge Weatherproof Wire Splice block.
You depopulate a socket to keep the wires with the original pins and not have to splice. First, remove wires and pins from new socket. Discard those wires. Remove from old socket. Install new socket on factory wires. Good as new an no splices. As stated, you need a really small drill bit to unlatch the wires from the socket.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:25 PM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

You depopulate a socket to keep the wires with the original pins and not have to splice. First, remove wires and pins from new socket. Discard those wires. Remove from old socket. Install new socket on factory wires. Good as new an no splices. As stated, you need a really small drill bit to unlatch the wires from the socket.
I'll give it a try...thanks for the info!
Weird, all the yrs I've been on various car forums, this is the first I've ever heard of this. Whenever it comes to replacing DRL sockets, It's always a debate on best splicing method.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:16 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I'll give it a try...thanks for the info!
Weird, all the yrs I've been on various car forums, this is the first I've ever heard of this. Whenever it comes to replacing DRL sockets, It's always a debate on best splicing method.
I cut, stripped, tinned, soldered, then shrink tubed them. Been well over a year with no worries. I think the wires are in the 18 to 16 ga range.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:47 PM
ace147
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
I cut, stripped, tinned, soldered, then shrink tubed them. Been well over a year with no worries. I think the wires are in the 18 to 16 ga range.
While your experience sounds terrific, its the wrong way to repair a damaged socket. You're adding another possible failure point to the system. The ONLY time you splice in a new socket is when the terminals are corroded.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:34 AM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

So I'm sitting there with a flashlight & magnifying glass trying to figure out how to "depopulate" my light socket. You're a better man than me....I can't see how to do it. So I just did ithe GM recommended method....weather resistant heat shrink butt splice connector. Been doing it that way on other cars for years without any issues. Hopefully this won't be the first!

Last edited by LIGHTNING; 10-26-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:40 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

While your experience sounds terrific, its the wrong way to repair a damaged socket. You're adding another possible failure point to the system. The ONLY time you splice in a new socket is when the terminals are corroded.
Getting into my car and driving it down the street is greatly increasing the possibility of a failure too.

I'll add more wire loom to cover the ugly splice so no one will see it. Thanks for the tip, it was terrific.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:03 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

....... Been doing it that way on other cars for years without any issues.
Same for me and lots of others. A carefully/properly soldered splice will last for years with little, if any, embrittlement issues, especially in a wire ga. that size in a low vibration environment. This definitely aint the space-shuttle, where lives are on the line.

Unfortunately however, the new socket will likely suffer the same fate due to the very hot DRL incandescent bulb filament constantly putting out so much heat in that confined space. I would recommend considering LED lighting, or doing the DRL relay mod to eliminate the DRL function (and generates no DTC codes). No hot bulb filament constantly burning = no heat to cook the sockets.
I did the relay mod (free) on mine as opposed to the LED mod. Not hard and I don't mind not having DRLs. Turn signals and parking lights function normally.

HTH

Btw, fix the crack/hole in the light housing too. That's where the water comes in and constantly blows bulbs and causes corrosion.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:29 AM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Getting into my car and driving it down the street is greatly increasing the possibility of a failure too.

I'll add more wire loom to cover the ugly splice so no one will see it. Thanks for the tip, it was terrific.
LOL!
Old 10-26-2013, 02:41 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

When at all possible, this is the process i have used for ages and never had a problem.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:46 AM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Same for me and lots of others. A carefully/properly soldered splice will last for years with little, if any, embrittlement issues, especially in a wire ga. that size in a low vibration environment. This definitely aint the space-shuttle, where lives are on the line.

Unfortunately however, the new socket will likely suffer the same fate due to the very hot DRL incandescent bulb filament constantly putting out so much heat in that confined space. I would recommend considering LED lighting, or doing the DRL relay mod to eliminate the DRL function (and generates no DTC codes). No hot bulb filament constantly burning = no heat to cook the sockets.
I did the relay mod (free) on mine as opposed to the LED mod. Not hard and I don't mind not having DRLs. Turn signals and parking lights function normally.

HTH

Btw, fix the crack/hole in the light housing too. That's where the water comes in and constantly blows bulbs and causes corrosion.
That's actually why I'm replacing the DRL sockets... replacing OEM housing & bulbs with clear housing & Switchbacks LED's. Sockets were a bit burnt. Lens housing was fine, no cracks or holes.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:00 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

That's actually why I'm replacing the DRL sockets... replacing OEM housing & bulbs with clear housing & Switchbacks LED's. Sockets were a bit burnt. Lens housing was fine, no cracks or holes.
If no melted/cracked housing, you're won of the lucky few, but I'll wager if you weren't replacing your housings, and given enough time, they too would join the long line of failed housings.

LEDs do have their advantages; very little heat, very long lives, and very low current draw are just a few.

You're going to be adding a flasher bypass harness as well?

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help Replacing DRL Sockets

Quick Reply: Need Help Replacing DRL Sockets