C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie rod adjustment & steering off center

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 03:30 PM
Ray'98
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod adjustment & steering off center

Last time the car was in for an alignment I mentioned the steering wheel was off a bit to the left. The mechanic made the adjustment and all seemed well when I left the shop. Now the wheel seems to be creeping back to the left again. Also he mentioned the right side tie rod adjustment was almost to the end of its travel. All the way out, I think.
Did some one mention that there was something on the steering rack or suspension that should be checked for tightness if this occurs?
Old 12-24-2004, 06:32 PM
OutlawDon
Drifting

ttt
Old 12-24-2004, 07:08 PM
servohead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

(what does "ttt" mean?)
Old 12-24-2004, 07:13 PM
RainJ
Safety Car

Location: Biloxi MS Theres something happenin' here, What it is ain't exactly clear.....

to the top
Old 12-25-2004, 02:20 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

Well, one is to utilize a tech two to center the steering wheel (it reads a steering sensor). It seems no one really does this step. It is in the factory manual.

Once actually centered, I would place it on a rack again.

Seems way to strange to me that one end is all the way out...making me think the other end is all the way in.

If the car was in a accident..or curbed this could be a cause of the alignment issues.

Else, jack up the the car, garb all four wheels and check for a loose bearing. Then check the torque on all the suspension nuts and bolts, xmember and especially the a-arm mounting bolts to frame. Grasp the a-arm, tie rod ends etc and look for looseness. Lastly, check the steering wheel for play into the rack. And remember it could be the rear of the car also effecting your problem.

For an answer that is where I would start anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Tie rod adjustment & steering off center

Quick Reply: Tie rod adjustment & steering off center