C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guage cluster info switch lights ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 01:16 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Default Guage cluster info switch lights ?

The TRIP and OPTIONS back light's are dead on mine. Is is worth opening it up to replace the bulbs, if it's possible or just replace the unit. I found a replacement for $40.00

Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 AM
JetMechZ16
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 30 Posts

My fuel and gauges lights went out the other day,

Subscribibg for the info.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:35 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

It is one bulb providing light for every two buttons. Replacement of bulbs is not hard to do once you have the DIC out, getting it out requires removal of the instrument panel(insert "PITA", but do-able). The bulbs are in a plastic holder that just twists out. Not at home now but if you PM me with you phone number I can give you at least two sources for the bulbs and explain two options for replacing the bulb.

Here is a picture of what the bulb and holders look like. The DIC bulbs in the picture do not have the "blue" covering but you should get the idea.

Last edited by dadaroo; 10-01-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:17 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dadaroo
It is one bulb providing light for every two buttons. Replacement of bulbs is not hard to do once you have the DIC out, getting it out requires removal of the instrument panel(insert "PITA", but do-able). The bulbs are in a plastic holder that just twists out. Not at home now but if you PM me with you phone number I can give you at least two sources for the bulbs and explain two options for replacing the bulb.

Here is a picture of what the bulb and holders look like. The DIC bulbs in the picture do not have the "blue" covering but you should get the idea.

Hmmm, If it's just replacing the bulb than while it's out I might as well replace all 3. If one went than I'm sure the others will follow. As for the dash ?
I have had the entire dash apart so doing that is no big deal.

Thanks and PM on the way !
Old 10-26-2013, 02:48 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Many Thanks to dadaroo for directing me to tstar and tstar for supplying me with the proper blubs ! Although it was an involved job requiring to remove the entire dash assembly it worked out just fine.

Thanks Again Gents !

Last edited by SG Lou; 10-26-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:30 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Good for you. Glad to help.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:09 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Many Thanks to dadaroo for directing me to tstar and tstar for supplying me with the proper blubs ! Although it was an involved job requiring to remove the entire dash assembly it worked out just fine..........
Tim is a class act.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:17 PM
jooboyle
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dic bulbs?

Dadaroo. I saw your reply to Lu

Can you give me the source for the bulbs? I have the dash apart and the instrument cluster sitting on the work bench. I googled tstar but didn't find anything. I do want to get the blue bulbs since that is what is stock. Likewise I think changing all 3 makes sense.

Many thanks

John O

Old 12-29-2013, 09:56 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 536 Likes on 399 Posts

He is a forum member.Just send him a PM.Great guy that does some awesome work!!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:19 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jamieo
That is correct.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:10 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jamieo
Tstar is a great guy to deal with ! He sent me 10 bulbs of various sizes so if anything else goes out I'm covered. That was something I didn't think about at the time !
Old 01-01-2014, 05:10 PM
SPEED750
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JetMechZ16
My fuel and gauges lights went out the other day,

Subscribibg for the info.
The gauges are illuminated by 2 UV bulbs that are located on the right and left side of the cluster. They have High voltage warning stickers on them and I don't think they can be replaced. Only the buttons and warning light have the small bulbs. This is why the dash has a "glow effect" at night.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:06 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SPEED750
The gauges are illuminated by 2 UV bulbs that are located on the right and left side of the cluster. They have High voltage warning stickers on them and I don't think they can be replaced. Only the buttons and warning light have the small bulbs. This is why the dash has a "glow effect" at night.
I think Jet is referring to the DIC as well. If you look the "Fuel" & Gauges" buttons are on top of each other.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:02 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SPEED750
FYI, in case some one reads this. The UV bulbs (2) both plug into the high voltage power supply at the back of the IPC and are each replaceable. The power supply is removable and can be fixed or just replaced. None of these can be bought new as parts at this time.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Jeffwilson34
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I started to replace mine last year but I got halfway done and got worried I would not be able to remove the whole thing without damaging something so I quit.
If anyone in east TN can do it PM me and let me know what you will charge me.
I also need to replace the lights in my HVAC head unit but my hands tend to shake at the worst times I know I would end up ruining the unit with the soldering iron.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:00 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Well i'm back where i started. I took the whole DAMN dash apart to get to the DIC and replaced the bulbs last October. The 2 that i replaced are dead again......
Old 04-23-2014, 08:09 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

No good deed goes unpunished.

Get notified of new replies

To Guage cluster info switch lights ?

Old 06-15-2014, 05:09 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Both lights ( TRIP and OPTIONS ) are out again.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:56 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Both lights ( TRIP and OPTIONS ) are out again.
Appears something else is going on. If it were me I would install another DIC switch.
There is a small circuit board in there. Not sure what all functions it serves. I would assume it does affect the light circuit including the diming feature. The BCM sends out a signal to dim/turn off but the actual dimming is done internally to each device. Seems like over the last couple of decades this is normal practice for switches. Even on the wall mounted garage door openers. No longer just a simple single contact.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:04 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Appears something else is going on. If it were me I would install another DIC switch.
There is a small circuit board in there. Not sure what all functions it serves. I would assume it does affect the light circuit including the diming feature. The BCM sends out a signal to dim/turn off but the actual dimming is done internally to each device. Seems like over the last couple of decades this is normal practice for switches. Even on the wall mounted garage door openers. No longer just a simple single contact.
I was thinking DIC Switch too Sam...Looks like i'll be hunting for one!
Thanks Again !

Quick Reply: Guage cluster info switch lights ?