C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:51 PM
TEECEE
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Service Active Handling

I am getting this warning, only on occasion on my 2002 C5. SOmetimes upon starting car and also while driving. Any suggestions? Do I need to get this checked out or could it be an error? Maybe disconnect the battery???
Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 PM
ace147
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEECEE
I am getting this warning, only on occasion on my 2002 C5. SOmetimes upon starting car and also while driving. Any suggestions? Do I need to get this checked out or could it be an error? Maybe disconnect the battery???
Remove module and send to module masters for rebuild. Common problem with poor solder joints failing due to vibe.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

With out the dic codes it is just a guess. Do as 8VETTE7 says and pull the codes and post. It could a number of different things.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 AM
LoneStarZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I am having a similar problem...Mine came on about a week ago just on my way to work...when I got to work I checked the dic codes and none other then Historical codes. I reset codes but have not had it come on again. The check engine light has done the same thing twice since comes on for awhile then goes out. no codes checked oit belts etc nothing wrong.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 PM
ace147
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Don't discount H codes. They are an audit trail of things that have happened. Most codes will change from C to H once you turn off the ignition.

Next time the light(s) come on, pull your codes BEFORE you shut off the ignition.

CHECK Engine light can indicate that an emissions issue/event has occurred. Again pull the codes BEFORE you shut off the engine. If the light goes out on its own then the H codes can help you identify what occurred.

The failure is loose solder connections, so sometimes the code is active and sometimetimes inactive (H). Once you see the codes, just assume its bad and send to module masters. Hope is not a plan.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:39 AM
LoneStarZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Don't discount H codes. They are an audit trail of things that have happened. Most codes will change from C to H once you turn off the ignition.

Next time the light(s) come on, pull your codes BEFORE you shut off the ignition.

CHECK Engine light can indicate that an emissions issue/event has occurred. Again pull the codes BEFORE you shut off the engine. If the light goes out on its own then the H codes can help you identify what occurred.
Thanks for the great info will do next time it happens
Old 10-26-2013, 12:44 AM
LoneStarZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ace147

The failure is loose solder connections, so sometimes the code is active and sometimetimes inactive (H). Once you see the codes, just assume its bad and send to module masters. Hope is not a plan.
Which Module?
Old 10-30-2013, 12:35 AM
ace147
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoneStarZ06
Which Module?
Ebcm. Found a really great pdf about it a year ago. Cannot find it easily now. Detailed all the areas with colder solder joints that failed in the modules as well as components prone to failure.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Richard Thomas
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by ace147
Ebcm. Found a really great pdf about it a year ago. Cannot find it easily now. Detailed all the areas with colder solder joints that failed in the modules as well as components prone to failure.
It's here. Post 65.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...in-here-4.html

I'm currently having the same issue. 2004 Z06 Will need to pull codes.

Richard
Old 11-05-2013, 07:31 PM
xzo124
Instructor

When it came on in my car , I pulled the codes per 8VETTE7 suggested and it was the speed sensor on Lf.on 1 list and Rf on another . Never theless I now have 2 new speed sensors on front ...FIXED...xzo to 8VETTE7
Old 11-07-2013, 02:54 PM
lloydainey
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having the same problem

In addition, the car wants to reduce power. It actually shutsoff the radio
Old 11-08-2013, 12:19 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lloydainey
I am having the same problem

In addition, the car wants to reduce power. It actually shutsoff the radio
So why don't you pull the codes as suggested and start your own post. Reduced power mode is typically NOT a ebcm problem.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:38 AM
lloydainey
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar problems
Check Gauges
Service active Handing
Tire pressure not reading
reducing engine power

but only when I turned on the Radio
turn it off, everything goes back to normal having reset each warning
turn the radio on, all the gauges go to zeor...fuel, temp, oil battery remains 13 volts

this all happened after I left the car for 10 days, and I had a usb plug in the cigaretter lighter outlet.

TODAY...EVEYTHING IS FINE.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:43 PM
GeneT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the ECBM and send it out to be re-soldered. You can have it done for as little as $50 incl return shipping. I 2-day shipped and had mine back and re-installed in 5 days. It's a very easy DIY fix. PM me if you want the info I have, i.e. repair address, removal instructions with pics, etc.

older CF thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...r-fleabay.html

Last edited by GeneT; 11-09-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: add

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling