C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Bolton Ideas For a4

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 06:50 PM
TheMTazzi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Bolton Ideas For a4

Hi, I am looking to do some bolt-ons to my 98' c5 a4 with a mileage of 94k. In a couple months I will have an estimated 2500$ budget and am just inquiring as to what mods you guys would go with for such a budget. Keep in mind its 100% stock now besides c6 z06 wheels and a muffler bypass. My only mods I am conclusive with getting are those style rear wheels/tires but in 19x11's (the current are the stock dimension 18x9.5 with 275's), a cheap set of slotted and drilled rotors with new pads (adding power requires improving traction and braking obviously), a cheap set of black caliper covers and a tune.

ps: please include your preferred brand names (i.e. slp, bbk, exc.)
Old 09-16-2013, 07:02 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would start with a good Cold Air intake, Headers and a tune.. all will give you a good power gain. If you have the $$ left i would also get a set of Z06 Ti mufflers, they flow better (probably as good as the bypass mod) but also save a good bit of weight. Headers are available from Kooks, American Racing (ARH), LG, Ect.. you can find then gently used cheap as well and save some coin. Intakes are all going to give simmilar power gains and simmilar price range. I would also do tuneup (plugs/wires) at the time of header install.

Look for posts from supporting venders, they all are competitivly priced with one another (for the most part).

The other route you could do is suspension upgrades and a mail order tune (give you good tweeks in the tune for the trans). GM C6Z51 swaybars and C6Z06 shocks and a cold air intake and Ti mufflers, you will be well under your $2500 budget. Rather then getting caliper covers you can get a full set of C5Z06 red/black calipers/brackets and do a brake system flush with premium brake fluid (synthetic) and a decent set of brake pads... Pads are cheap between good and bad pads but have much difference between stopping power and ammount of dust.

S

Last edited by RedZMonte; 09-16-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:15 PM
mitchell c
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If getting improved performance is your main goal. Install a high stall torque converter. A high stall converter is the the best bang for the buck on an A4 hands down excluding nitrous. I would also check the C5 parts for sale forum and pick up 3.42 gears if your car has 2.73 gears. Check your door to your glove box. There's a label if you have G92 listed you have 3.15 gears instead of 2.73s.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Alex99
Instructor

I agree with Mitchell,
A TC is a great investment but requires lots of labor ($) to install unless you are capable to do it yourself.
You could also try to do headers and an LS6 intake and vararam CAI.
Z06 swaybars and springs are a major improvement and are relatively cheap.
One thing to keep in mind though is that with this many miles your A4 is most likely to fail soon when you increase power dramatically and/or remove torque management with a new tune.
Either keep the trans protected with the right tune or do quick rebuild with stronger parts.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Save up some more and get a SC. Do you wanna spend 2500 for a measely 40 HP? When you will want more...
Old 09-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Save up some more and get a SC. Do you wanna spend 2500 for a measely 40 HP? When you will want more...
I agree but,,,,,,,,,,,, that tends to drain the bank account from the OTHER MODS that are needed to support it!

Some things that you need to consider.

ANY,,,,,, thing that you do with GEARS or CONVERTERS,,,,,,,,, WILL REQUIRE A TUNE! PERIOD!

When you add POWER with ANY aged C5, you really should consider replacing the torque tube bushings (yours will more than likely be aged and cracked!!!!)

YEP, Most stock A4s dont do well with stock internals, at least not very long! Especially if you add a high stall converter and remove torque mangement. Also consider an external transmission oil cooler if you add a high stall converter.

If you start adding power and traction,,,,, you better be looking at rearend upgrades The drivers side rea rend output shaft tends to SNAP.

Especially if you have stock high mileage suspension parts. Your old shocks will NOT be happy and you will most likely see wheel hop and tire shake.

Consider C6 ZO6 shocks. Direct OEM fit and you will be amazed with the handling improvement! Gene Culley has them for $250 new in the box for all four www.gmpartshouse.com

Some used C5 ZO6 sway bars and or springs Saves lots of cash vise new!

Here are a few post for ya to check out:

- C5, ragtopws6 , Upgrading your C5 rear with C6 Z06 guts, : http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-z06-guts.html
-

- C5, Its_Go_Time, Output Shaft Install - Left and Right: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1573407966

- C5 Differential Seal replacement: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...on-photos.html

Consider a USED 2001+ style intake manifold. It flows better than your early LS1 style.

I perfer a true cold air intake that draws air from the front of the car. They flat work and provide good improvements!
VARARAM Cold Air Intake

A good in the professional shop PCM Tune will cost you $400-$500 clams and should be done when ALL of you engine and drive train mods are assembled and put on the car.

$2500 will provide a good seat of the pants improvement but, it may cause you to spend money in other places that you were not expection to.

Cheep, Fast and Reliable PICK TWO cause you cant have all three!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:10 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Intake, exhaust, headers and converter are you first mods you should do.

Buying these used you can save a lot of money. Not sure I would buy a used converter, but the other things don't have any moving parts. As long as they are in good shape there is no reason not to buy used imo. Check the c5 parts for sale section for good deals.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:06 PM
TheMTazzi
Instructor

Default thank you!!!

well guys, i have decided to get a blackwing intake and loudmouth exhaust through slp for now!!! no tune though because of it being an a4, but i feel those mods are modest enough for me and my budget!! thanks for your input!! also i will do a stall converter (a circle d 3800) and tune down the line,but i am just gonna wait for my transmission to go first before i start modifying. also, i have to save a bit more obviously! but thanks again!!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:12 PM
TheMTazzi
Instructor

i have a print out from the dealer i bought it from of all of its options and i do indeed have 3.15 gears. my only question is if i have them, should i go for 3.42s? or will it be pointless?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I like my 373's
Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
Option 2:
Drop in a 2007/2008 LY6 with a cam swap and put down an easy 450-460whp

$2500 in parts.

Either path you choose, The common denominator is Effort.

3.15 to 3.42 wont be worth it.

Seat of the pants feel and get the get up and go of a manual would require a stall converter but then you face having a slush box.

Larger wheels = slower car

Just do it right the first time and drop in a cam and headers and add the rest later.

Last edited by Got uid0; 10-10-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Bolton Ideas For a4

Quick Reply: C5 Bolton Ideas For a4