C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge troubles

Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 PM
DBRASUE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fuel Gauge troubles

I noticed the other day that when I toggle the fuel gauge on the dash of my 2000 C5 the range reads low, (at idle) however when I'm driving the DIC never comes on to indicate a LOW reading nor does the gas needle read empty. I always have a full tank of gas. Tried to read up on this as much as I can but don't seem to get it explained. Any help is appreciated!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:39 PM
rangered2010
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default funky fuel gauge

My 2004 gas gauge started acting crazy today too. After putting 7 gallons of gas in I started the engine and the gauge stayed one empty and the check gauges light came on. A few minutes later the needle went up to the correct spot and the check light went out. As I drove it kept doing it off and on. I didn't notice any engine problems just wonding whats causing this???
Old 08-28-2013, 10:16 PM
DBRASUE
Drifting

I use plenty of TECHRON so this shouldn't be a problem?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 PM
rangered2010
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, gonna try it.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:11 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 183 Posts

Good luck, try the Techron, reset the DIC codes, search the forum for the dreaded fuel gage failures...I'm on my third set of senders (first under waranty, 2nd on my ca$h) [91K on my 03]
Old 08-29-2013, 08:53 AM
DBRASUE
Drifting

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:41 PM
JetMechZ16
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 30 Posts

I may be reading this wrong but are you refering to the milage range as in how many miles you can go till empty?

If so check what your current avg mpg reading is, for the car to calculate range it needs to know two things. 1. How much gas is in the car. 2. What the current avg mpg are. based on how much gas you have and how many mpg your getting it comes up with a range ie. 300 miles or 200 miles till your empty.
If your car was like mine and it always reset the avg mpg after every engine start. basically you'll be reading 0 avg mpg when you start the car cause you haven't gone anywhere yet, so in turn your range would be low or 0.
After I replaced my battery my car no longer reset the avg mpg. I had a bad cell so new AGM battery fixed that problem.

OH,, if I interpreted your question wrong just disregard everything above.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 PM
DBRASUE
Drifting

Originally Posted by JetMechZ16
I may be reading this wrong but are you refering to the milage range as in how many miles you can go till empty?

If so check what your current avg mpg reading is, for the car to calculate range it needs to know two things. 1. How much gas is in the car. 2. What the current avg mpg are. based on how much gas you have and how many mpg your getting it comes up with a range ie. 300 miles or 200 miles till your empty.
If your car was like mine and it always reset the avg mpg after every engine start. basically you'll be reading 0 avg mpg when you start the car cause you haven't gone anywhere yet, so in turn your range would be low or 0.
After I replaced my battery my car no longer reset the avg mpg. I had a bad cell so new AGM battery fixed that problem.

OH,, if I interpreted your question wrong just disregard everything above.
That solved the problem! I was causing the problem by resetting the avg mpg. (not a battery problem for me) You where right on the money with this! Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Gauge troubles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge troubles