C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking coolant where to look

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:24 AM
PawnPro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking coolant where to look

hey guys, I have a 2003 vette, yesterday I realized I was low on coolant, filled her up some and got home and heard a hiss sound from something landing on the header. I figured it was coolant leaking on the header from the smell, once I look down I found a bit of coolant on the my front passenger tire, I guess I ran over it as I was driving or what not. anyways I hear a drop land on the headers and evaporate every 10 -15 seconds or so, but I can't see it hit the ground and I can't see where it is coming from. It is not coming from the surge tank as everything up there is dry and doesn't look like is coming from water pump. any ideas?

thanks

J
Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Maybe you have a punctured hose?
Check the hoses to make sure they're intact...
Old 08-20-2013, 09:35 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

The only thing in a position to drop onto headers (I think) would be the heater lines.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 PM
PawnPro
Instructor

ok, my surge tank looks to be in good shape and looks like it was replaced before I bought the car, there is coolant on the plastic part of my radiator right across the pulley. I can't pull the fan shroud off now because im at work, but I will try to get at it sometime this week. If I have to change the radiator how much am I looking to spend?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:00 AM
kernelPanicked
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You running the AC? My car cooks off a ton of water every time I park it. It's all condensation.

Not that you don't sound like you have a coolant leak, but I don't think that sound is abnormal or a hint about it.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:27 AM
Ohyoufan
Pro

Originally Posted by kernelPanicked
You running the AC? My car cooks off a ton of water every time I park it. It's all condensation.

Not that you don't sound like you have a coolant leak, but I don't think that sound is abnormal or a hint about it.
My car drips enough water from the AC after driving to fill a swimming pool and it always hiss's on my headers lol

Get notified of new replies

To leaking coolant where to look

Quick Reply: leaking coolant where to look