C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Vibration/Rattling Noise Under Load

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 04:24 PM
D'04vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Vibration/Rattling Noise Under Load

I have a C5 Corvette Coupe with a Billy Boat Bullet exhaust. I have taken the car on a few road trips and noticed a moderately loud vibration/rattling noise. The noise is apparent between 2-4k rpm, especially while climbing a hill (engine under a load).

I can also hear the noise when revving the engine from idle (after the car has been heated up from driving). It seems as though the rattling increases as the engine and surrounding area heats up (after driving for 30 minutes or more).

What could be the root cause to this noise? Exhaust shield due to the louder aftermarket exhaust vibrating the OEM heat shields? Could the noise be coming from the powertrain or drivetrain?

I took it to the dealership and they said, "they didn't find any loose shields...everything is good." Very frustrating because I know for a fact that is exists. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:31 PM
2000bobby
Advanced

i got this same issue and I am all ears
Old 08-13-2013, 07:02 PM
TB1300
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a rattling noise, too. Mine sounds kind of like marbles in a metal can. It occurs at 1200-1800 rpm or so, under moderate throttle. It either goes away above that rpm, or the engine/exhaust gets too loud to hear it. I am 95% sure it is one or both catalytic converters. The guts can come loose and rattle around.

My symptoms seem a bit different from yours, but I suppose the rattling could occur at different rpm/throttle combinations depending on how big the parts inside the catalytic converter break into.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 PM
magneticred99
Intermediate

Sounds like it might be a bad cat. I have the same issue now...sounds like the guts came loose and are bouncing around.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:26 PM
D'04vette
Heel & Toe

Awesome! Cats are not covered under my bumper-to-bumper warranty :-(

Does anyone know who makes the best hi-flow cats to replace my stock ones? Header suggestions? Might as well do it all, while I'm at it...
Old 08-19-2013, 06:16 PM
warlock007
Pro

get car off the ground, start it up with someone inside revving the idle to necessary rpms and with a stethoscope try to pin point it.

if no lift, make sure to have 4 jack stands and I personally leave the jack on it and with pressure to help balance the car.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Vibration/Rattling Noise Under Load

Quick Reply: C5 Vibration/Rattling Noise Under Load