C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver axle seal leaking.....again/still

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Roc87
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driver axle seal leaking.....again/still

So my old diff leaked on the drivers side but very minimal. I had to replace the diff because it sounded awful at freeway speeds and after 2100 miles, the new one started leaking terrible; back of the car was black and ruined my plasti dip, lol. Had a local shop do the oring and axle seal, they said a staple had found it's way into the axle seal and had torn it, causing the leak. Its now leaking again, don't think its been 200 miles with the new seal. I had it on a lift today for a dyno tune and confirmed its the axle seal, not the oring... Is there anyway to fix this!?!? I HATE oil leaks...
Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Proper install of the seal is everything ! Check halfshaft spline area where it goes through the seal for any rough spots, wear or abnormal areas - replace if necessary. Remove old seal and check mounting area in diff side cover, it must be absolutely smooth and free of any foreign material. Buy a GM seal and not the Chineese crap from BillyBobs parts emporium. Install using a proper driver or socket if you don't have the tool. Lube it around the circumference of seal and drive in slowly / evenly making sure it is fully seated. Lube halfshaft with diff oil and insert slowly being careful of the seal. That should fix your problem, most shops do not take the time to do it correctly.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:39 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Proper install of the seal is everything ! Check halfshaft spline area where it goes through the seal for any rough spots, wear or abnormal areas - replace if necessary. Remove old seal and check mounting area in diff side cover, it must be absolutely smooth and free of any foreign material. Buy a GM seal and not the Chineese crap from BillyBobs parts emporium. Install using a proper driver or socket if you don't have the tool. Lube it around the circumference of seal and drive in slowly / evenly making sure it is fully seated. Lube halfshaft with diff oil and insert slowly being careful of the seal. That should fix your problem, most shops do not take the time to do it correctly.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Roc87
Burning Brakes

Looks like I'll be digging into it this week, is it necessary to drain diff oil just to replace seal? Seems as the seal is above fluid level
Old 08-12-2013, 02:42 AM
stngh8r
Pro

Subscribing
Old 08-12-2013, 03:00 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

you have any weird vibrations? this is a really easy job. did you buy a quality seal like oem or felpro? if you did and they are seated correctly vibrations are one of the only things that come to mind
Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Roc87
Looks like I'll be digging into it this week, is it necessary to drain diff oil just to replace seal? Seems as the seal is above fluid level
Draining not necessary.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I agree.. Make absolutely positive that the CV hub sealing surface is NOT grooved, rough or damaged. Carefully examine the old seal and see why it failed

Draining is not necessary if the car is level during the work.

Another item to check is the differential VENT on the top of the differential.

If it is STUCK SHUT, it can cause pressure to build up in the differential and it will LEAK from the weakest area. When the mechanic puts the car on the lift, have him open the differential fill plug and see if the differential is under vacuum or pressurized It should NOT be pressurized!!

With the vehicle level, the fluid in the differential should be right at the fill plug opening. If there is excess fluid, let it run out.

BC

Get notified of new replies

To Driver axle seal leaking.....again/still

Quick Reply: Driver axle seal leaking.....again/still