C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisey cats...Replace them or lose them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:30 AM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was very interested in the magnaflow offroad H pipe until I read they were actually causing issues and a smaller diameter then stock? Mines got 130k on the oem cats, no codes but has a weird odor. Will you lose any hp due to the 2.5" magnaflow H pipe compared to the stock 2.75" with cats? Also if you get rid of the cats the car will need a retune and will run rich with a check engine light correct?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:35 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sickz51vette
I was very interested in the magnaflow offroad H pipe until I read they were actually causing issues and a smaller diameter then stock? Mines got 130k on the oem cats, no codes but has a weird odor. Will you lose any hp due to the 2.5" magnaflow H pipe compared to the stock 2.75" with cats? Also if you get rid of the cats the car will need a retune and will run rich with a check engine light correct?
I dont't know about the Magnaflow H pipe but yeah if you delete the cats you will throw a check engine light. Best thing to do is have the rear o2 sensors tuned out.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:05 PM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

I would like to keep my stock 97 manifolds without the pup cats, and planned on purchasing this until i read they are smaller diameter then stock. Would I be better off somehow gutting the stock cats, i'd hate to have a shop do a hackjob on the exhaust and just cut them out. Also with that check engine light on will it be pulling timing or anything that will rob horsepower as well?
Old 08-11-2013, 01:25 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

I would like to keep my stock 97 manifolds without the pup cats, and planned on purchasing this until i read they are smaller diameter then stock. Would I be better off somehow gutting the stock cats, i'd hate to have a shop do a hackjob on the exhaust and just cut them out. Also with that check engine light on will it be pulling timing or anything that will rob horsepower as well?
If it's a smaller diameter than stock I probably wouldn't get it, especially since it's prob really expensive... You can gut your cats but I personally would just replace them with pipe because the opening of the cat distrupts exhaust flow (dont know if that really matters or not). I do not want to have to cut up my stock setup either but I guess you pretty much have to. The check engine light wont make any difference in hp or any noticable difference in performance as far as i know.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:53 PM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

I am also seeing that Bassani makes some catless x pipes, but I am having trouble finding them for sale. Also noticed the "test pipe" section only says 2.5" as well. If I were to go catless without hacking the system would the catless X pipe be the way to go, or should I get the catless H pipe. I just read the stock H pipes are only 2.5" anyways? I'm getting confused....

Last edited by 1sickz51vette; 08-11-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:52 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

I am also seeing that Bassani makes some catless x pipes, but I am having trouble finding them for sale. Also noticed the "test pipe" section only says 2.5" as well. If I were to go catless without hacking the system would the catless X pipe be the way to go, or should I get the catless H pipe. I just read the stock H pipes are only 2.5" anyways? I'm getting confused....
Maybe someone with more experience can chime in but I believe if you get any aftermarket crossover pipe you are going to have to so some cutting. As far as size I belive you either have to get 2.5 or 3". Keeping the stock manifolds you might as well get the 2.5".
Old 08-12-2013, 12:42 PM
magneticred99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I found a stock mid pipe with cats...might add an x pipe later, but keeping it factory other than my axle-back for now. Hopefully swapping out a stock mid-pipe for another stock mid-pipe is something I can do in my garage.

Quick Reply: Noisey cats...Replace them or lose them?