C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear spring upgrade

Old 07-30-2013, 01:46 AM
Caveboy
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Rear spring upgrade

Is it worth it to upgrade the rear spring for Z51 package to Z06 rear spring?
Old 07-30-2013, 02:13 AM
Ohyoufan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished doing this a few weeks ago and it made an immediate difference on my FRC. I love it so far. I'm ordering Pfadt mounts and their JOC Stage 1 kit next week to go along with it
Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Caveboy
Drifting

The front ones are the same
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Ohyoufan
Pro

^bingo my car's already a z51 car. The front z51 and z06 spring is the same. The rear spring is different.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:40 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Caveboy
The front ones are the same
Originally Posted by Ohyoufan
^bingo my car's already a z51 car. The front z51 and z06 spring is the same. The rear spring is different.
ALL FRCs are RPO Z51 cars and the front spring is indeed the same. When I changed mine out a few years ago I also changed the anti-roll bars at the same time, and later the shocks.

Made a definite (positive) difference in handling.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be sure to get an alignment after messing with the springs. Good time to figure out your ride height.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Ohyoufan
Pro

Originally Posted by NukeC5
Be sure to get an alignment after messing with the springs. Good time to figure out your ride height.
I was going to get an alignment after I install my JOC Stage 1 Package and Pfadt Motor and Tranny mounts next week. I lowered my car max on stock bolts when doing the spring so I guess I'm in the settling stage right now?? Lol I like the height that lowering on stock bolts gave me, I didn't cut any bushings up front or put in longer bolts in the back, I just adjusted my bolts until it dropped it as far as it would go without cutting anything or putting in new bolts. I have about an inch or so of gap now between tire and fender
Old 07-30-2013, 03:13 PM
denis.drc
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a set of Z06 font and rear springs and the JOC Stage 1, about a week ago and aligned it to PFADT specs. I have about 200 miles on it so far.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I love the firmer ride. The car now feels completely different (in a very positive way). I did start hearing more creaking/squeaking in the interior from the panels moving around a bit more. Nothing some additional chassis support won't fix.

Do the Z springs and don't look back.

Last edited by denis.drc; 07-30-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:32 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I guess the Z06 springs are meaner than what you have-- Stiffer springs will give you a harsher ride---The benefit of stiffer springs (IMHO) work only at higher speed like over 100 MPH--they make the car ride flatter around the curves---The drawback is that while driving around town and even at high way speeds the rear of the car will tend to "hop over the bumps rather than to drive over them--Even going over the reflectors in the road --the car will hop over them--If that doesn't bother you then go for it--Another option would to install a larger rear sway-bar and poly bushings--They would make the car run flatter in the corners but still retain the softer ride during normal driving--
Old 07-31-2013, 08:25 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by tblu92
I guess the Z06 springs are meaner than what you have-- Stiffer springs will give you a harsher ride---The benefit of stiffer springs (IMHO) work only at higher speed like over 100 MPH--they make the car ride flatter around the curves---The drawback is that while driving around town and even at high way speeds the rear of the car will tend to "hop over the bumps rather than to drive over them--Even going over the reflectors in the road --the car will hop over them--If that doesn't bother you then go for it--Another option would to install a larger rear sway-bar and poly bushings--They would make the car run flatter in the corners but still retain the softer ride during normal driving--
Disagree. The runcrap tires (and their extremely stiff sidewalls) are causing more of what you are describing than Z06 springs or coilovers.

Too many people forget that tires are part of the suspension/handling, etc along with shocks/springs/bars.

Ever notice the OEM Z06 cars HAD no run crap tires from the factory? Losing the runcrap tires was one of the best decisions I ever made.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:15 AM
hklvette
Racer

From what research I've done on the matter: For '00+ Z51 cars, they have the same front bar and spring as the '01-'04 Z06. The Z06 rear spring is stiffer than the Z51, but the rear bar is softer. In '04, the Z06 got the Z51 rear bar, and has the firmest factory setup of all C5s (stiffest springs, stiffest bars, and shocks to match).

my $.02
Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM
Ohyoufan
Pro

Originally Posted by tblu92
Hmm, haven't experienced what you're talking about with my rear spring yet it's stiffer I'll agree, but it's nothing like you're describing
Old 07-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Caveboy
Drifting

Still looking for the Z06 rear spring.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My personal experience with a number of newer Vettes suggest that the base springs work best in my street cars. I just picked a base 01' vert with the base springs, slapped on a huge set of sway bars and have the best of both worlds. A great ride on less-than-perfect roads and much better handling.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:30 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
My personal experience with a number of newer Vettes suggest that the base springs work best in my street cars. I just picked a base 01' vert with the base springs, slapped on a huge set of sway bars and have the best of both worlds. A great ride on less-than-perfect roads and much better handling.
I agree ---- my point exactly---I have tuned and driven 100's of different C5's
stock sprung and those with stiffer springs and those with simply larger sway bars and poly bushing------My opinion ??? The best is to go the sway bar route---unless you are driving a dedicated "race car"
stiffer springs ????? make an appointment with your dentist to get your fillings replaced---LOL
Old 08-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Ohyoufan
Pro

You guys are a bit dramatic about these z06 springs. They're not THAT bad, my suspension still work as it should, I don't "hop" over bumps, I still have a nice ride, it just handles and takes corners more comfortably. It's stiffer yeah, but it's not the cement truck ride that you guys are making it out to be.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 AM
denis.drc
Advanced

Z06 springs are still 'stock' and by no means overly aggressive.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear spring upgrade

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear spring upgrade