C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end leak..and I just purchased!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 08:24 AM
Dean Gladney
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear End Leak

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Oil leak at the rear of what? The engine? The car??

The drivers side half shaft seal at the differential is a common problem on the C5. Also the differential vent has been known to allow some oil to seep. Neither are particularly expensive to repair. Engine rear main seal is a different story.

Better define where your oil leak is coming from......
8Vette7:

You were spot on with the left half seal, I had that issue at 30K on my 03 Coupe. Had it fixed, and the tech also replaced diff oil with the new recommended fluid. Now I have some clear oil leaking down onto the center of the rear cross member. Got it up on jackstands and did some cursory inspection, gonna get in there with my inspection camera today. You mentioned a vent in the diff. I'm wondering if that could be the source. Where is that located? Thanks in advance. Dean
Old 12-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

One other thing to check. When GM replaced the driver side seal on my 03 the mechanic apparently reused the crush washers for both drain plugs. It started to leak again and I was about to take back to GM (on my dime) to get it fixed again. On the off chance I had lost too much fluid to drive it a long distance I pulled the top plug to to up the diff. Found the washer bent into a perfect heart shape and when the diff got hot it leaked oil past the washer.

Cheap SOB's cost me concern and a messy job. The washers are expensive by the way and appear to be a one use only item. If the diff has been emptied before check at least the top fill plug. Maybe save you some time and money.
The following users liked this post:
Dean Gladney (12-07-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 06:13 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Gladney
...You mentioned a vent in the diff. I'm wondering if that could be the source. Where is that located? Thanks in advance. Dean
It is on top by the driver's side (the round and shiny little cap).

Last edited by GCG; 12-06-2015 at 07:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dean Gladney (12-07-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 06:47 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Shylor
Looks like this is going to cost me over $500. Thanks GM!
Why are you blaming GM for a rubber seal that has sat idle for most of the last 12 years? Let me guess...you know absolutely nothing about automobiles? Did I get it right?
Old 12-06-2015, 07:19 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

And you replied to a post from august 2014. I'm sure he's done thanking GM by now.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:25 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
And you replied to a post from august 2014. I'm sure he's done thanking GM by now.
Damn, I hate it when that happens. Glad I didn't PM him.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:29 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Lol!
Old 12-07-2015, 07:25 AM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Default differential vent

When I purchased my 2001 I had a small drip of oil from the drivers side half shaft seal. I found the post on here about the differential vent and low and behold it was stuck. After replacing it and a little driving no more drips. Good luck with your repair.

Part number 19132947 vent was around $25.00.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Dean Gladney
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diff Leak

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
One other thing to check. When GM replaced the driver side seal on my 03 the mechanic apparently reused the crush washers for both drain plugs. It started to leak again and I was about to take back to GM (on my dime) to get it fixed again. On the off chance I had lost too much fluid to drive it a long distance I pulled the top plug to to up the diff. Found the washer bent into a perfect heart shape and when the diff got hot it leaked oil past the washer.

Cheap SOB's cost me concern and a messy job. The washers are expensive by the way and appear to be a one use only item. If the diff has been emptied before check at least the top fill plug. Maybe save you some time and money.
Black 03 Z06:

Thanks for your reply, I'll pull the fill plug and see what that looks like, also if it's overfilled, I understand that if you're level, any overfill will spill out. I'll leave the drain plug alone for now, since pulling that will mean a full drain/fill. If the fill washer looks OK and the leak continues, back to the folks that did the left half shaft!
Old 12-07-2015, 07:34 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Rear End Leak

My '99 was leaking about 10 years ago and I was told to change the rear end oil and install RED LINE Gear Oil and it never has leaked since.
I know it's hard to believe but it worked for me.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:54 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Gladney
Black 03 Z06:

Thanks for your reply, I'll pull the fill plug and see what that looks like, also if it's overfilled, I understand that if you're level, any overfill will spill out. I'll leave the drain plug alone for now, since pulling that will mean a full drain/fill. If the fill washer looks OK and the leak continues, back to the folks that did the left half shaft!
Dean best of luck finding the problem. I would never have believed the washer issue if I had not done the inspection myself. Just make sure if you are under the car you have it well supported, work safely it is in a bit of an awkward spot. I used a marine lower unit fill pump to fill mine (what ever you do don't drop the tube in inside the housing). Just another hint, sit the oil container itself in bowl of hot water to make it flow easier out of the bottle. It is thick stuff. I used Mobil One diff fluid with the LS additive already in the mix.

Good luck.

Last edited by Black 03 Z06; 12-08-2015 at 06:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear end leak..and I just purchased!