C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad valve stem seal after cam install

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Bad valve stem seal after cam install

Installed a cam back in Jan. Started to notice an oil consumption issue around March or April. I assume one of my stem seals slid up the stem, although it seems a little odd it didn't happen immediately.

None the less, will it be pretty obvious which is the culprit when I pull the valve covers, or am I going to have to remove rocker arms/valve springs? I want to know before pulling them, because it's extremely hot here, and I like to minimize the days I work on things outside. I've got the dual springs, if it makes a difference.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

What seals did you use? Some will interfere with the inner spring.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

The individual ones, not the stock 1-piece style. Was purchased as a kit from Texas Speed
Old 07-09-2013, 08:07 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Make sure the small spring is still on the seals if they have them. I've seen them break and come off. Check the plugs, you should be able to see what cylinder is passing oil.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 388 Posts

I had something similar happen several years ago. The spring installed height was not correct and 3 seals got crushed.

Originally Posted by WKMCD
What seals did you use? Some will interfere with the inner spring.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:27 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Never assume,
the entire country is hot as heck right now, I hear ya on that one bud

I've got the Kent Moore for installing valve seals, you'll see most use a 11mm 12pt socket, and this will fine 'most' of the time.

I can post up the info/pic, Comp also makes the tool, either way it's cheap, about 30 bucks
Old 07-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with Steve! I beat up the seals when using a socket. The plastic Kent Moore tool worked great and was only something like $5 on flebay.

Keeping my fingers crossed but so far all my seals (TSP blue seals) are still in place.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:09 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Make sure the small spring is still on the seals if they have them. I've seen them break and come off. Check the plugs, you should be able to see what cylinder is passing oil.
I'm wondering if pulling plugs would be faster than pulling valve covers and taking a peek. I was going to replace any of the seals with new ones, since they're fairly cheap, but it sounds like you're saying as long as it's not broken and the spring is still in place, I can just tap them back down? I'll probably go new anyways.

Originally Posted by 7LitreC5
I had something similar happen several years ago. The spring installed height was not correct and 3 seals got crushed.
Honestly, I didn't measure spring height. I couldn't find my caliper at the time. I have a similar setup (same springs, similar cam) on another car that was installed by a pro, and he said it didn't need any spring shims, so I just did the same. I'll check it when I pull the covers this time around.

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
Never assume,
the entire country is hot as heck right now, I hear ya on that one bud

I've got the Kent Moore for installing valve seals, you'll see most use a 11mm 12pt socket, and this will fine 'most' of the time.

I can post up the info/pic, Comp also makes the tool, either way it's cheap, about 30 bucks
Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
I agree with Steve! I beat up the seals when using a socket. The plastic Kent Moore tool worked great and was only something like $5 on flebay.

Keeping my fingers crossed but so far all my seals (TSP blue seals) are still in place.
I used a socket. It's possible I beat a few one too many times. With the heat here, even with a fan blow directly on me, I'm drenched in sweat within half an hour being outside.

Last edited by onspeed; 07-10-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Pulled the valve covers, can't see anything without removing the springs. Maybe with the single springs you can see through the coils, but the dual springs you really can't see much. So I pulled the plugs as suggested and here's what I found.

Driver side plugs. 1,3,5,7 - looks like 5 is the culprit. the ceramic on 1 is a little darkened as well.

Passneger side. 8,6,4,2 - 2 looks a little lean, 4 also looks not quite perfect, maybe also leaking oil?

There's some oil on the threads of most of the plugs. I'm guessing that's just some of the grease I applied when I installed that eventually melted with the heat.

Should I replace just the seals on 5 or on all the ones that look a little dark?

Last edited by onspeed; 07-15-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:58 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Since it's not a big deal to pull the valve covers again if you need to...if it were me, I'd replace #5 and run it. You said they were all new so 5 obviously got doinked on install.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:43 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

That's what I was thinking. I went ahead and ordered just a couple for #5. If I'm still burning a little oil, I'll hold off till it's cooler since the others don't look too bad.

Just need to figure out what's going on with #2. Only thing that can cause a lean condition on 1 cylinder is a bad injector? Maybe I'll swap injector 2 with 4 and see what happens over time.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you getting blue smoke at start up?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:01 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Nope. Don't think it's leaking enough to cause blue smoke.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:53 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Pulled the springs today on #5. Both seals had slid up from the valve guide. They didn't look torn up or anything to me. Tiny spring at the top was still there and in tact. Went ahead and installed new ones anyways since I had them.

Looks like it's just friction that holds it onto the guide normally? When I'm due for new valve springs I think I'll go with the singles so I can use the GM design seal/seats. The duals were recommended but it seems like plenty of guys run singles without issue.

Also, it's a PITA to rotate the crank with everything assembled. I had the steering shaft out of the way when I originally did the springs. I couldn't find a 24mm offset wrench at any of the stores near by so I made my own by heating up a regular 24mm wrench and bending it.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:54 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Pulled the springs today on #5. Both seals had slid up from the valve guide. They didn't look torn up or anything to me. Tiny spring at the top was still there and in tact. Went ahead and installed new ones anyways since I had them.

Looks like it's just friction that holds it onto the guide normally? When I'm due for new valve springs I think I'll go with the singles so I can use the GM design seal/seats. The duals were recommended but it seems like plenty of guys run singles without issue.

Also, it's a PITA to rotate the crank with everything assembled. I had the steering shaft out of the way when I originally did the springs. I couldn't find a 24mm offset wrench at any of the stores near by so I made my own by heating up a regular 24mm wrench and bending it.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

What cam are you running? The PAC 1518's are great single springs.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:43 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

EPS custom grind 226/230 .598/.609 111+2
Old 07-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Bullet Proof
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unfortunate this happened, but great info. thank you. About to do a cam swap and was planning on doing new seals but didn't know about the seal tool. Do you think it was the dual springs that made this happen or seals? I plan on using single behives and new oem stock seals.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:14 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

I would like to blame the seals, but they look fine to me. It was probably my installation (12mm socket + hammer), although many people do the same without issue.

The springs aren't bad, but with the single springs you can use the 1-piece style seal/seat and there's no way for those seals to slide up since it's also a spring seat. Lots of people say go with the dual springs because there's a lower possibility you'll drop a valve if one breaks, less spring surge, and handles aggresive ramp rates better. But the EPS/LXL lobe is supposed to be pretty tame and my cam specs in general are relatively mild so I think a single beehive would be fine for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad valve stem seal after cam install

Quick Reply: Bad valve stem seal after cam install