C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling noise on acceleration....thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Rattling noise on acceleration....thoughts?

First of all I know it's nearly impossible to diagnose this issue without hearing it personally but I just want opinions... At 2k rpms through the first three gears (maybe 4th too, havent really paid much attention) I have a brief rattling sound that sounds like heat shield vibration or some type of exhaust vibration. I cannot find anything loose or where it might be coming from. I might be wrong but it does sound like its more towards the drivers side between the H-pipe and headers. My question is that if it is not an exhaust related noise are there any other common issues that would have a similar sound? Someone mentioned to me possibly bad torque tube bearings?
Old 07-07-2013, 02:50 AM
Hanlon's Law
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bwill03z
First of all I know it's nearly impossible to diagnose this issue without hearing it personally but I just want opinions... At 2k rpms through the first three gears (maybe 4th too, havent really paid much attention) I have a brief rattling sound that sounds like heat shield vibration or some type of exhaust vibration. I cannot find anything loose or where it might be coming from. I might be wrong but it does sound like its more towards the drivers side between the H-pipe and headers. My question is that if it is not an exhaust related noise are there any other common issues that would have a similar sound? Someone mentioned to me possibly bad torque tube bearings?
I had this when I first bought the car and surmised that it may have been the cats coming apart and rattling. It went away when I installed headers/x-pipe. I didn't try it, but I've heard others say you can hit the cats with a rubber mallet and see if they rattle.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:24 AM
ETPhoneHome
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

lol that is what most shops and dealerships will do if you hear a rattle. hit it with a rubber mallet. it prob is most likely your cats.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:38 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ETPhoneHome
lol that is what most shops and dealerships will do if you hear a rattle. hit it with a rubber mallet. it prob is most likely your cats.
Lol well if it is thats fine I've been looking for an excuse to take them off anyway.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Does anyone else have anything else on this?
Old 07-07-2013, 11:31 PM
sereneDelusions
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experienced the same issue with an annoying rattle. A shop I took it to showed me on the lift the only thing vibrating were the metal rings around the o2 sensors. Thankfully, after I installed headers/xpipe the issue went away.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:07 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Cats
Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 AM
tacman
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13
Default Rattle

Originally Posted by bwill03z
Does anyone else have anything else on this?
I have an older Corsa system that had a loose baffle in one of the mufflers.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tacman
I have an older Corsa system that had a loose baffle in one of the mufflers.
Def not in the muffler, it's up near the cats/headers area.. Almost sounds like it's up in the engine bay but I don't believe it is
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 330 Posts

I've heard some say they get a "jingling" noise when excelerating and the cause is actually due to the diameter (too small) of the opening in the "H" portion of the H pipe. It might be what you're hearing.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:50 PM
slvr bulit
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My headers were close to the frame lip on the drivers side, when the engine moved a little they would barely touch it . I had to trim off a little of the lip that was sticking out
Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by slvr bulit
My headers were close to the frame lip on the drivers side, when the engine moved a little they would barely touch it . I had to trim off a little of the lip that was sticking out
Yeah I had that same issue on my trans am. I've checked that and I have excellent clearence with my headers so its not that. I'm about convinced its cats. I was just wanting to make sure because I'm going for a dyno tune next week and I don't want to have any disasters.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a jingle that I narrowed down to the AC clutch. It's done it since I bought the car 6 years ago, doesn't seem to be getting any worse, and the AC still works so at least for me .... phucket.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 AM
kennya35
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an automatic, but used to get a rattle around the 1700 rpm, turned out to be the o2 sensor covers. Try tightning them up, quick and easy check. After I did this, the rattle went away.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:09 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

So I lifted the car the other day and beat around on the exhaust and have determined the rattling noise is definately coming from the cats, which is fine because I've been looking for an excuse to ditch them. I figured this would be a good time to delete the cats and get an x-pipe so my question is are there any x-pipes that will bolt on from the axle back system directly to a set of shorty headers, or am I going to have to cut out the cats and weld in a section to link the headers and the x-pipe?
The following users liked this post:
LeoLivinLife (06-02-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Rattling noise on acceleration....thoughts?

Quick Reply: Rattling noise on acceleration....thoughts?