C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random vibration in the steering wheel above 70mph, wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Random vibration in the steering wheel above 70mph, wtf?

Starting this spring my 99 C5 has started vibrating at around 70mph on the highway. It starts at 70mph and peaks around 75-80mph. It seems to vibrate the whole car but it's DEFINITELY vibrating the hell out of the steering wheel. If I take my hands off the wheel I can see it oscillating back and for very rapidly (almost a blur). Then it will randomly go away for a bit (10 secs, 30 secs, a minute)...and then come back. All at the same speed (cruise control set).

Having the car in a different gear doesn't change anything and neither does having the clutch in or not. Car drives nice and straight and maneuvers fine. Only 32k miles on the car and a couple thousand on the wheels and tires.

Bringing it in for a new alignment and re-balancing of the wheels just to knock out some likely culprits. Any thoughts behind the random nature that might point to something? I guess I'll check tierods and wheel bearings next...though I doubt it. I've found cars with bad tierods tend to wander a bit. Bad wheel bearings usually make noise. Out of balance tires or alignement problems usually cause a constant vibration problem. Never had a random vibration like this though.

Dope
Old 06-28-2013, 01:57 AM
Soul per4mance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

steering Could be out of alignment, or tires could be rounded/feathered on outer/inner edges causing that vibration.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Dope, sounds like you've already checked the usual culprits, so it might be time to look "outside the box". I'll start... since it appears to be a random thing, how about a brake caliper that's sticking once in a while, and causing the brake pad to "knock" against the rotor?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Usually caused by a flat spot on a tire.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Slotcar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this thread in a search. My vibration is not as random. For a lack of a better description, it is pulsing. It vibrates and fades away, vibrates and fades away all about 2 seconds apart. Now the odd part is that it goes away going around a slight bend in the highway. Obviously, the tires rotate at different rates when cornering so it might be a matching issue if there is any flat spotting (the car is on my lift for the winter). Curious to see what others experienced.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

If yours goes away while turning, I'd think wheel bearing or tie rod.

Dope
Old 07-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slotcar
I found this thread in a search. My vibration is not as random. For a lack of a better description, it is pulsing. It vibrates and fades away, vibrates and fades away all about 2 seconds apart. Now the odd part is that it goes away going around a slight bend in the highway. Obviously, the tires rotate at different rates when cornering so it might be a matching issue if there is any flat spotting (the car is on my lift for the winter). Curious to see what others experienced.
I have the same problem with a 01' vert' I just picked up. The tires seems new. (Kuhmo Ecsta). I'm ready to get another set of tires. It's kinda ruining the "new car" experience.

Last edited by Turbooo2u; 07-14-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:51 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

wheel bearing. if the noise goes away just means the natural frequency of the system is different than the frequency of the vibration from the bad bearing. The clue is taking the load off in a turn unloads that bearing and it is not giving a high amplitude vibration.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:32 PM
1blkc4
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe a bent rim or wheel bearing
Old 07-14-2013, 10:54 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Slotcar
For YOUR case, I can almost guarantee it's a worn tie-rod end. It goes away when you go around a bend because the steering load is pulling the slop out of the joint. My car does the same thing. I should get off my lazy azz and fix it at some point.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by k24556
wheel bearing. if the noise goes away just means the natural frequency of the system is different than the frequency of the vibration from the bad bearing. The clue is taking the load off in a turn unloads that bearing and it is not giving a high amplitude vibration.
Typically wheel bearings "howl" when they start to go out. I've replaced many a wheel bearing, and I've never had one cause a silent vibration in a car.

Get notified of new replies

To Random vibration in the steering wheel above 70mph, wtf?

Quick Reply: Random vibration in the steering wheel above 70mph, wtf?