C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Autotap software coming soon!!! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 01:16 PM
tbyrne
Race Director

Location: Westport, MA. www.tbyrnemotorsports.com - 1-877-4-TBYRNE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07
Default New Autotap software coming soon!!! (long)

NEW AUTOTAP SOFTWARE COMING SOON!

Effective with the release of new hardware (V2.x) in early July, B&B Electronics will introduce a new version of our popular AutoTapâ Windows software. At the same time, they will be adding a “generic-data-only” version of the Windows software. This lowers the entry price of AutoTap ownership by almost $100. Additionally, they will also be introducing AutoTap for Palmä software. This easy-to-use software for the most popular handheld device can be added to an AutoTap Windows software sale, or sold separately with AutoTap hardware.

The new product line will also include a very exciting product targeted at the high-performance marketplace. They recently entered into an agreement with Starr Performance, the makers of EFILiveV5, to distribute their high performance data acquisition and control software for the LS1 engine management system. Available in a standard and pro version, the Pro version contains bi-directional controls. Utilizing AutoTap hardware and EFILiveV5 Pro software, your customers can now control IAC, idle speed, gear selection, injectors, spark advance, and much more.

All of the software products are on one CD. During installation customers will be prompted to enter a registration number that “unlocks” the software package(s) they’ve purchased. No waiting for software to be mailed and no large files to be downloaded…it’s all on the AutoTap CD.

UPDATES AND UPGRADES

AutoTap Windows software:
The new Windows software (V2.x) is considered an UPDATE for existing customers and is a free download from our website. The software will work with your customer’s existing hardware. Please refer to the attached FAQ section for differences between V1.x hardware and software and V2.x hardware and software.

AutoTap V2.x Hardware
B&B Electronics has a program in place where the customer can simply return their “old” hardware. They will replace it with “new” hardware (V2.x) for just $75.00 between now and August 31, 2002. After that, the upgrade price will be $99.95. For simplicity, these transactions will be conducted between B&B Electronics and the customer. All forms and instructions for this upgrade program will be on their website.

AutoTap for Palm software:
In order to use the Palm software, the customer will need to have our new (V2.x) hardware. They will also need to purchase a special AutoTap/Palm cable.

EFILiveV5 Software:
Starr Performance has 3 versions of its EFILiveV5 software. One version has been written to work with our “old” hardware. It does not have bi-directional controls. Two versions, standard and pro, have been written to work with our “new” hardware. The “Pro” version has bi-directional controls.

Questions and answers -

What is the difference between V1.x hardware and software and V2.x hardware and software?

There are several technical changes in the firmware that allow the V2.x hardware to update parameters as much as 30% faster than V1.x hardware. On the software side, V2.x implements many suggestions we’ve received during the last few years. There is now a default configuration screen. Additionally, the user can now view charts, gauges, graphs and meters all on the same screen. The previous version required separate screens for each view. Also, new styles and custom colors are available for graphs, gauges, charts and meters. Now the user can create and save configuration files while not being connected to the vehicle.

What equipment is required for the PC or Palm versions of AutoTap?
For Windows Operation:
IBM-compatible 486-66. Windows 95, 98, NT, ME, 2000 or XP. 16 MB RAM. CD drive (used only to load software, software may also be downloaded from the internet). 9-pin male RS-232 port.
Monitor that supports graphics recommended.
Included are a 4-foot cable to connect your vehicle to the AutoTap scanner and a 6-foot cable to connect the AutoTap scanner to your PC. You can extend the PC cable up to 50 feet.

For Palm:
Supported Palm Models: Palm IIIx, VII, M10x, M125, M50x, 70x, HandEra 330, HandEra TRGpro
Supported Palm Operating Systems: OS 3.1 and higher
AutoTap for Palm requires a special serial (9-pin) HotSync® cable (purchased separately) to connect AutoTap to your Palm This cable is different than the one used to connect to your Palm to your computer. Not all Palms use the same cable.

Included are a 4-foot cable to connect your vehicle to the AutoTap scanner and a 6-foot cable to connect the AutoTap scanner to your PC. You can extend the PC cable up to 50 feet. You MUST purchase the special HotSyncâ cable separately.

Does AutoTap for Palm include the popular data logging feature?
Yes. In order to play back a stored log file, the user must perform a HotSync with their PC. Even if the customer doesn’t buy a version of the Windows software, they will be able to replay log files on their PC.
Why do I need a new HotSyncâ cable for the AutoTap for Palm?
In its native mode, a Palm acts like a device that gets controlled by a computer. Technically speaking, a Palm is DCE (Data Communications Equipment). To work with the AutoTap scanner, a Palm needs to act like a computer, i.e. it needs to become DTE (Data Terminal Equipment). This change is accomplished by using our special cable.
Palm V isn’t one of the models you have special cables for.

Can a customer still use AutoTap for Palm with a Palm Vx?
Yes, a customer can still use AutoTap for Palm with a Palm V. They just need to purchase our part number 9PMMNM. They’ll connect this device, known as a null modem, in between the Palm V and the AutoTap. Your customer may also want to purchase a regular HotSyncâ cable from Palm or another retailer. This HotSyncâ cable will replace the HotSyncâ cradle making it easier to use the Palm V while it is connected to the AutoTap.

How much are software updates?
AutoTap software updates which include bug fixes and updated model year information are free as downloads from the B&B Electronics website. There are nominal charges for software upgrades, i.e. adding Palm software or going from the Windows generic version to the Windows enhanced version.

How long does it take to get a registration key for a customer that wants to add a software product?
Registration keys can be generated while you’re on the phone with the B&B Electronics customer service department. Remember, they will need to know your serial number and hardware version (V1.x or V2.x) in order to generate this code.

What cars can use EFILiveV5?
EFILiveV5 is for use on General Motors’ vehicles with the LS1 engine management system.

What is the difference between the versions of EFILiveV5 Software?
There are three versions of EFILiveV5 software: EFILiveV5 Standard, EFILiveV5 PRO, and EFILiveV5 V1 Standard.

All three versions are similar, with the following differences;

a. EFILiveV5 Standard and PRO utilize AutoTap V2.x hardware. The PRO version includes bi-directional controls, the Standard version does not.

b. EFILiveV5 V1 Standard utilizes AutoTap V1.x hardware. This version of the software does not include bi-directional controls.

What bi-directional controls are available with the PRO version of EFILiveV5?

Controls
Idle speed - Sets the idle speed to an rpm value in the range 0-2040 rpm.
IAC - Sets the idle air control pintle position to a step value in the range 0-127
Gear - Sets and holds the currently selected gear to one of
1. First
2. Second
3. Third
4. Drive
Injector Off - Allows the operator to perform an injector balance test by selectively turning off individual injectors. Only one injector will be turned off at any time.

Switches
M.I.L. - Illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. This feature is not available on some vehicles.
Shift skip - Illuminates the Shift Skip lamp where fitted. This feature is not available on some vehicles.
CC inhibit - Inhibits the cruise control from operating.
A/C clutch - Turns the Air Conditioner compressor clutch on or off.
Fan 1 - Turns on low speed thermo electric engine fan(s).
Fan 2 - Turns on high speed thermo electric engine fan(s).
Lift/Dive - Turns Lift/Dive compensation on or off.
A.I.R. sol - Turns the Air Injection Reaction solenoid on or off.
A.I.R. pump - Turns the Air Injection Reaction pump on or off.
Fuel pump - Turns the fuel pump on or off.
Fuel learn - Turns fuel learn mode on or off.
Closed loop - Sets fuel mode to open or closed loop.
Rev lockout - Turns reverse lockout on or off - manual gearboxes only.
TCC - Engages or disengages the Torque Converter Clutch - automatic gearboxes only.

Modes
Use spark map - Overrides the PCM's normal spark advance by substituting the values found in the currently loaded spark map.
Use fuel map - Overrides the PCM's normal air fuel ratio by substituting the values found in the currently loaded fuel map.
Evap service bay test - Puts the PCM into a mode that allows evaporative emission controls to be tested.
Fuel trim reset - Resets the learned fuel trims.
Tooth error learn mode - Puts the PCM into a mode where it can learn the crank tooth error correction

I know that this is alot of info to digest. We're still working through it too :) Pricing will be available on our website in the next few days.

Tom
Old 06-25-2002, 03:09 PM
MDL-01C5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: New Autotap software coming soon!!! (tbyrne)

So in summation, this is ATAP's answer to LS1Edit, right?
Does it do everything that Edit does?
Old 06-25-2002, 03:33 PM
mbtc5vette
Instructor

NEW AUTOTAP SOFTWARE COMING SOON!

...At the same time, they will be adding a “generic-data-only” version of the Windows software. This lowers the entry price of AutoTap ownership by almost $100....
So how does the new "generic-data-only" version of the Windows software compare to what's currently available? Is a person better off waiting for the new stuff to get the same functions for $100 less or should one take advantage of the sale price you have now?
:cheers:
Old 06-25-2002, 03:53 PM
jeffh355
Burning Brakes

Default Re: New Autotap software coming soon!!! (mbtc5vette)

If you have a PowerLoader program installed can you still use the edit program or does the dealer need to reflash the brain back to stock? I heard that Steve Cole locks the program?
Old 06-26-2002, 01:46 AM
MY1Fast99C5
Pro

Default Re: New Autotap software coming soon!!! (jeffh355)

read this earlier and sent autotap an email and got this response

"Thanks for your message. We're hoping to have our website updated by the end of this week or early next. There will be a form that you'll need to download in order to upgrade your hardware. Essentially, you'll need to complete the form and send it along with your current AutoTap hardware back to us. We'll return a new one, complete with cables to you along with a registration code for our Windows Enhanced software. On this same form, you'll be able to purchase a registration code for EFILiveV5 and/or AutoTap for Palm.

Pricing: Upgrade of your hardware is $75. EFILiveV5 Pro is $194.95. AutoTap for Palm is $49.95 for the AT1, AT2 or AT3 and $89.95 for the AT123.

Regarding EFILiveV5 vs. LS1 edit, here's a copy of a post from the EFILive guys that does a nice job of explaining what their product can and can't do"

also

"EFILive V5 does NOT reprogram your PCM like LS1Edit does. If you want to reprogram you'll still need LS1Edit.

EFILive will override the PCM by sending bi-directional commands (similar to the TechII). Changes made to the PCM will revert to the factory calibrations in the PCM when EFILiveV5 is disconnected.

Exactly like Blackbird said: It's a very easy way to quickly try out spark/fuel changes to see what works best before spending time re-flashing with LS1Edit. You can change spark and fuel in real-time (on the fly) using the spark and fuel map editors built into EFILiveV5. Once you have figured out the areas that need more/less spark of fuel you can use LS1Edit to program in those changes"

hope this answers the questions. looks like you will still need to have the ls1edit to change anything permanently.

[Modified by MY1Fast99C5, 11:46 PM 6/25/2002]
Old 06-26-2002, 04:43 PM
MDL-01C5
Safety Car

Default Re: New Autotap software coming soon!!! (MY1Fast99C5)

MY1Fast99C5--- Thanks a lot, buddy-- that's exactly what I needed to know:D :cheers:
Old 06-26-2002, 06:05 PM
MY1Fast99C5
Pro

Default Re: New Autotap software coming soon!!! (MDL-01C5)

You are very welcome :D
Old 06-26-2002, 06:42 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: New Autotap software coming soon!!! (MY1Fast99C5)

Exactly like Blackbird said: It's a very easy way to quickly try out spark/fuel changes to see what works best before spending time re-flashing with LS1Edit. You can change spark and fuel in real-time (on the fly) using the spark and fuel map editors built into EFILiveV5. Once you have figured out the areas that need more/less spark of fuel you can use LS1Edit to program in those changes"
Eeeeeewwww :eek: I am highly skeptical of autotaps ability to do this right. Considering all its issues as a scanner. One can live with its scanning glithces, buy I dont think it will be good for piggybacking stuff into the PCM. Autotap, to me has second rate programming.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:39 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: New Autotap software coming soon!!! (kewlbrz)

Eeeeeewwww :eek: I am highly skeptical of autotaps ability to do this right. Considering all its issues as a scanner. One can live with its scanning glithces, buy I dont think it will be good for piggybacking stuff into the PCM. Autotap, to me has second rate programming.
Second rate? I think you're putting it at a higher level than called for. Kluge of the highest order. Well, maybe this new version will actually work with some consistency.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:25 PM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes, but we're not talking about AutoTap software. OTOH we are talking about B&B hardware which isn't a terribly different story. I found bugs in their new VIA gadget right off the bat... :rolleyes:
Old 06-27-2002, 09:33 AM
C5 Tweaker
Racer

I'd say the EFILiveV5 software (not from Black Box - AutoTap) looks pretty good:
http://www.starrperformance.com.au/e...creenshots.htm
Old 06-27-2002, 01:55 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Default Re: New Autotap software coming soon!!!

The way I read their web site http://www.starrperformance.com is that the $120 option to use with autotap connection does NOT allow bi-directional overrides. Meaning it is just another scan tool. Maybe better maybe not.

Below from their web site

Pro version is not compatible with the existing AT1 or AT123 interface

Professional version includes bi-directional overrides that allow on-the-fly modification of spark and fuel maps and various other powertrain controls.

Existing Autotap® AT1 or AT123 Standard registration

Standard version excludes all bi-directional controls
Old 06-27-2002, 02:52 PM
David Lively
Pro

The new package is, I think, EFILive via Starr Performance (Australia) and Paul Blackmore. VERY nice interface, incredible capable product that was designed for the LS1.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:16 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Tom,

The info you pasted shows that the Palm 50X can be used....does this included the m515?

Thanks,

Richard

Get notified of new replies

To New Autotap software coming soon!!! (long)

Quick Reply: New Autotap software coming soon!!! (long)