C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP crank bolt from ATI

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:35 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Default ARP crank bolt from ATI

I'm gathering the parts/tools to replace my harmonic balancer and timing chain, and bought an ATI balancer from Jegs. In the box, ATI included one of their catalogs, and listed in the catalog is the appropriate ARP crank bolt, however ATI lists the bolt as including a tube of RTV.

Does anyone know what the RTV is used for? I know that ARP's anti-sieze/thread lube is recommended for the install, and I have some, but the RTV has me puzzled....
Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be a miss-print or error on ATI's part. My ARP bolt came with the ARP lube shrink wrapped with the bolt and the only thing I used RTV on during my swap was the bottom corners of the timing cover.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:18 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dblerman

Could be a miss-print or error on ATI's part. My ARP bolt came with the ARP lube shrink wrapped with the bolt and the only thing I used RTV on during my swap was the bottom corners of the timing cover.
You lucky dog!!

I had to buy the ARP lube separately....

I'll have to send ATI an e-mail, and ask them what the deal is.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
You lucky dog!!

I had to buy the ARP lube separately....

I'll have to send ATI an e-mail, and ask them what the deal is.
If it makes you feel better, I had no idea it was going to come with the lube and ordered a packet separately

Subscribed, interested to hear what ATI says.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'm gathering the parts/tools to replace my harmonic balancer and timing chain, and bought an ATI balancer from Jegs. In the box, ATI included one of their catalogs, and listed in the catalog is the appropriate ARP crank bolt, however ATI lists the bolt as including a tube of RTV.

Does anyone know what the RTV is used for? I know that ARP's anti-sieze/thread lube is recommended for the install, and I have some, but the RTV has me puzzled....
Hmmm, front seal?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

The stock bolt has sealer under the head as there is a path to leak oil down the shank of the bolt. However, the fit is smooth and tight and the hub is a press fit to the crankshaft snout. I have not had any issues not sealing the bolt head/washer as I used the ARP lube on the threads, washer and bolt head when I installed it.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The stock bolt has sealer under the head as there is a path to leak oil down the shank of the bolt. However, the fit is smooth and tight and the hub is a press fit to the crankshaft snout. I have not had any issues not sealing the bolt head/washer as I used the ARP lube on the threads, washer and bolt head when I installed it.
Thanks for the input, and with respect to the OE bolt having sealer on it, I later thought of that also. On other SBCs I've worked on, I've put a dab of RTV in the keyway of the pulley, prior to installation, to eliminate a path for oil leakage. I suppose, before I e-mail ATI, I could read the supplied instructions. Maybe they mention something there....

Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good idea reading the instructions.
However the RTV is applied under the bolt head to prevent leaks through the keyway.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Good idea reading the instructions.

Problem is, and this was discussed in another thread about this damper, ATI's instructions leave something to be desired. (I did re-read them a short time ago)

However the RTV is applied under the bolt head to prevent leaks through the keyway.
However, I'm assuming that the ARP instructions, which are different, tell you to use their anti-seize, in order to apply the proper torque to the bolt, which, BTW, comes with a large flat washer.

Get notified of new replies

To ARP crank bolt from ATI

Quick Reply: ARP crank bolt from ATI