C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Tune or not T

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:25 PM
ronsrods222362
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
Default To Tune or not T

had this posted in the general discussion group, thought I would repost here to get some additional input...

Looking for some advice...
I am considering getting my car tuned and am looking for some of your input. I know that there are different kinds of tests. Is there a preferred method of tuning? What kind of benefits do each offer?
The important information. '02 C5, six speed dual cone intake and cat back exhaust.
Thanks in advance for your help..

Last edited by ronsrods222362; 06-11-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: wording
Old 06-11-2013, 12:33 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

You'll get the same answers over here....

Throw some LT headers on there then tune and pick up 30-40hp....
Old 06-11-2013, 01:17 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ronsrods222362
had this posted in the general discussion group, thought I would repost here to get some additional input...

Looking for some advice...
I am considering getting my car tuned and am looking for some of your input. I know that there are different kinds of tests. Is there a preferred method of tuning? What kind of benefits do each offer?
The important information. '02 C5, six speed dual cone intake and cat back exhaust.
Thanks in advance for your help..
No need for a tune until you add headers or bigger mods.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I have the exact same recommendation.

Tuning:

Hand held tuners are pretty much very limited in what they can change. When you have a MN6 manual tranny, they are even more limited in what they can do.. If you had an A4 Automatic you would be able to make some good trans tuning changes.

Mail Order tunes are good BUT, they do not really address the fine tuning that is needed to milk out the best performance and fuel efficiency that is done with an in the shop tune.

There are tuner interactive tuning devices that allow you to flash in a tune provided by the tuner and then you data log your PCM and e-mail the tuner the Log file. He makes the necessary fine tuning changes and e-mails it back and you flash in the file.

That type of tune is a lot better than a standard mail order tune. EFI Live AUTOCAL is a great example. Chuck at Corvettes of Westchester offers EFI Live AUTOCAL tuner and he even has a wide band up-grade that allows you to get an In the Shop Quality tune from home.

http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...ticle&id=53:au

Then,, there is the full in the shop tuning. A good in the shop tune will cost you $400-$500 depending on what you have done to your car. I.E. Forced Induction tunes are usually more involved and more expensive.

Unless you make some worthwhile bolt on mod changes, spending $400 may not be worth the time and improvement.

Your dual cone intake and cat back exhaust most likely is only supporting 10 hp maybe 12 hp on a good day. To get the BEST BANG FOR THE TUNING BUCK,, save the cash for a set of LT SS Headers, get rid of the dual cone and install a true cold air intake like (VARARAM ), install 180 T stat, change your valve springs and install some 1.8 rockers OR install a bigger cam.

Then have it professionally tuned. Then you will have a "PERMAGRIN" with the 35-40+ HP and increased Tq that you get.

Bill
Old 06-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Bill McCassey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100%

Get notified of new replies

To To Tune or not T

Quick Reply: To Tune or not T