C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LMC5 Column Lock Help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:53 PM
CorvetteAustin24
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LMC5 Column Lock Help...

Bought my Corvette 6 weeks ago - it's been nothing but a headache. Had the column lock up on me 3 weeks ago, was able to break it free. Had it happen again and I had the LMC5 on the way. My buddy and I went through the installation (btw, I would not call this an "easy" installation, and I call serious BS on the people who say they do it in 10 minutes). We did the unlocker since it is currently locked - something sparked, but nothing unlocked. We unplugged, replugged, double checked triple checked, nothing worked. I didn't want to brute force it unless I had to again, so we went ahead and installed the LMC5, then tried the brute force way. Long story short - doesn't work. Everything turns on, no DIC message, no lock motor sound (before when it was locked I would still hear the motor lock sound). 2nd longer story, the steering wheel is now moving more, and I'm not sure if that means we're close to the lock breaking, or if I completely messed up my steering wheel. All of the brute force methods stated it won't do any damage.. so someone please pass along some comforting words, and also help me figure out what the hell to do from here.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

IF the column lock happened three times more than likely you have a low battery--#1 cause for column lock. Take the terminals off the battery and using a VOM measure the voltage. If less than 12.5V you will have problems. I had mine go to the 2 sec mode ( starts put car and gear and the engine dies) even with CLB installed. Measured the battery with terminals off it was 11.9 V. EFILive tuners can turn off the mode entirely so it will never happen.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there, installation is not really that hard. I went through the LMC5 and LMC5R and the column never locked again but kept getting the pull key message. Working with Richard from compliance they developed another 5 wire LMC5 and I haven't had a problem since. Recommend you talk to Richard, he'll help you out.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Baldfart
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought my install went very easy. Probably the best written instructions I have seen.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Baldfart
I thought my install went very easy. Probably the best written instructions I have seen.
I think its alot like doing the brass gear change in the headlights. To me, its a simple procedure.....some say its a three hour job.

Last edited by runner140*; 06-12-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: add
Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I saw a post recently (link on my home computer) where someone else had a similar problem. The CL relay was bad. It is in the fuse box under the passenger side. Low voltage can fry the relay by trying to "do it's thing". With their LCM5 mod the post just removed the relay and fixed the problem. The relay is apparently not needed with the LMC5 mod. PM me and I can send you that post. Hope my "fried" memory is correct on this. Mr. Sam
Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 PM
CorvetteAustin24
Advanced

Update: Richard from Compliance parts is THE MAN! Best customer service I've had in my entire life. He emailed back in a timely with extreme details, and also talked to me on the phone for about 30 minutes walking me through things to help.

Resolution: Had to take the knee board and circular cover around the steering wheel off to expose the lock itself. Had a buddy induce the unlocker while I sat with a wrench tapping firmly on the lock. Worked like a charm! See ya later you stupid lock, it wasn't nice knowing you! (But it was fantastic knowing Richard!)

I HIGHLY recommend the LMC5 and Compliance Parts for all of your Corvette needs because this guy knows customer service.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:13 PM
go4checkered
1st Gear

I have a 99 vette, manual transmission... have had the "service column lock" message come up before, but it was last summer in high Oklahoma heat, and we found that my battery was bad. Tech at local GM store said I needed a BCM but with that repair being so expensive, I opted to replace the battery and see how it goes. Didn't have a problem again...until yesterday. Went on a "cruise" night last Friday, parked the car with the top down over the weekend. When I went to back out of the garage, I had the "pull key wait 10 sec" message. Hit reset, and the service column lock message came up. Turned the car off, waited 10 sec, and service column lock came up. Tried to back out and column is indeed locked. I disconnected the battery drained all power, and column is still locked. I'll check my fuses, but would sure appreciate any advise from you seasoned vette techs! THANKS!!!

Get notified of new replies

To LMC5 Column Lock Help...

Quick Reply: LMC5 Column Lock Help...