C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery died, now door issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 01:11 PM
obnoxus
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Battery died, now door issues

OK,,,,so took the car out last night and left the parking lights on when I got home.

Jump it this morning and off I go,,,,,get to my stop and the FOB doesn't work,,,,figure it lost programming, no big deal Ill worry about it later.

Hit the lock button on the drivers door,,,,nothing,,,,,unlock works, lock does not.

Passenger door lock and unlock work.

Ideas,,,,or did I hurt something???

97 base targa
Old 06-08-2013, 10:11 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I am in the same boat. Battery died a few weeks ago and FOB's don't work. Neither one works. TPMS didn't work for a while but now do. I haven't had it out to see if anything else doesn't work yet. Taking it out for a little drive tonight and see if things re-sink with themselves. If I can figure anything out I will let you know.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Resync the FOBS Pres LOCK and UNLOCK until the horn toots.

Clear ALL the DTCs Sometimes present HISTORY DTCs will cause issues.

READING YOUR Engine Diagnostic Codes (DTCs)
The Diagnostic Display Mode is entered with the following procedure:
1) Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.
2) Press the RESET button to turn off any warning messages. (i.e. door open, trunk open etc…)
3) Press and hold OPTIONS
4) While holding OPTIONS, press FUEL four times within a 10-second period.

Initially, on-board diagnostics go into an Automatic Mode which shows diagnostic codes in a pre-set sequence: PCM - TCS - RTD - BCM - IPC - RADIO - HVAC - LDCM - RDCM - SCM - RFA. All codes will be displayed for each. ( i.e. PCM = 4 codes)
If none are present in a given module, you will see No More Codes on the display.
There are two kinds of diagnostic codes, Current and History designated with a letter suffix, C or ;H. A current code indicates a malfunction is present in the module displaying data. A history code indicates a problem existed sometime in the last 40 or 50 ignition cycles. When not accompanied by a current code of the same number, it's potential evidence of a previous problem, now resolved, that was not removed by clearing the codes.
More likely it's an indication of an intermittent malfunction.
Intermittent codes are the most challenging of the diagnostics. An intermittent code may have happened once, may have happened more than once but is inconsistent or may be happening on a regular basis but not at the time the codes are displayed. History codes can also be caused by a current malfunction in a system that is not operating at the time codes are displayed. An example is the rear window defogger which doesn't operate until the Body Control Module detects engine rpm. For history codes set by a module that does not operate with the key on and engine off, a special diagnostic tool called a Scan Tester is necessary to properly diagnose the malfunction.
Once the system has displayed all modules, it goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module using combinations of Driver Information Center buttons. Manual mode can also be entered during the automatic sequence by pressing any button except E/M. Once the display shows Manual Diagnostics, select a module by pressing the OPTIONS button to go forward or the TRIP button to go back. Once a module is selected, a code is displayed, and if more than one are present;
press GAGES to go forward or FUEL to go back.
To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press E/M. If you want to erase codes in a given module, press RESET
To reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays NO CODES Press OPTIONS to go to the next module. Repeat the steps until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules.
NOTE!! Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this. Clearing a code does not repair a problem. You are simply erasing the evidence of it in the module's memory. If you clear the code/s, and extinguish the Check Engine Light, your emissions status ready will NOT allow you to pass an emissions test until you have completed the required driving cycles.
Once you have the codes, the next question is: What to do with the information?
First, consult the factory service manual. Any serious C5 Do-It-Yourself owner should invest in the Corvette Service Manual of the appropriate model year. The Service Manual is really a requirement if you want to understand and work on your C5.

Here is very good site of DTC definitions:

http://www.gearchatter.com

Make sure to include the H or C suffix!!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:54 AM
obnoxus
Pro

ok,,,,press lock and unlock together for 7 or so seconds or so until the horn beeps to relearn FOB..,,,,all is well !!!
Old 06-09-2013, 01:03 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Thats in the OWNERS MANUAL!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:22 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I've tried the lock, unlock thing a few times with no beep. I am going to try and change my fob battery this next week when I get time. It needs a new one anyway as it's getting pretty old by now. If that doesn't work, then it's time for the post that Bill Curlee posted. If that doesn't work, then it might be time for a new BCM.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:07 PM
obnoxus
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Thats in the OWNERS MANUAL!

I wasn't so much worried about the FOB,,,,,but the switch pad on the door not working had me nervous

Get notified of new replies

To Battery died, now door issues

Quick Reply: Battery died, now door issues