C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just changed belts and chirping noise is back

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just changed belts and chirping noise is back

I have a low mileage ( 9,000 miles) 2001 C5 convert. and had to change the belts as there was a loud chirping noise that got worse until it was all the time , at idle and at any speed. Belt dressing made it even louder.The new belts fixed the problem for about 3 weeks and the noise is back though only at speed. I am sure it will start soon even when the car is idling. Does this sound like the harmonic damper? How much should Chevy change to replace a harmonic damper?

If it is the damper does a misalignment of the belt and damper cause the belt is become glazed? Why would this happen?

When Chevy changed the belts they wanted to changed the water pump as they said the pump was leaking on the belts. They said there was some old dryed coolant near the weep hole but ever since I have put clean paper under the water pump and I see no sign of ANY anti-freeze.

Any help would be appreciated as I do not want to replace parts like the idler pulley, water pump, etc if it is not needed.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:14 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Might want to buy a simpe automotive stethoscope and listen for where the sound is coming from. They can be bought for under $10 and are great at specifically locating noises. Unlike what your doctor uses, the end has a long hollow tube to allow you to pinpoint the noise.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

We had the EXACT same scenario happen with our 2001 GMC Sierra 4.8L. We fought it for months changing this and that and throwing money at it. All of the same things you've described however we have 99,000 miles. It turned out to be the water pump. When I tore it all apart to change it the pulley on the old water pump had a lot of play in it.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:28 PM
luckstr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issues with my 2004 C5 (120,000 miles on it). Replaced the belts and the chirping went away for about 3 weeks and then came back with a vengence. Took it to my mechanic who thought the Harmonic Balancer was going bad when he replaced the belts, and he told me so, but at that time we didn't do anything about it. Well we have now replaced the HB and everything is sounding good. I have read on the Corvette Forum that this is a problem that has been experienced by many C5 owners in the past. My mechanic charged me $600 but I'm sure a dealership will charge a couple of hundred more.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:56 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took the car to Chevy today and they said it was the water pump. I was told the water pump was leaking very, very slightly and anti-freeze was getting on the belts causing the noise. I did not think this was the case because I have put white paper down under the water pump and the level of anti-freeze does not drop but Chevy says it only takes a drop or two. It will cost me about $900 including 2 new belts.

Luckstr - the last time my new belts also lasted 3 weeks until the noise came back. Hopefully this will be the fix.

I am sure that if it is not the water pump and they say it is then they would not charge for a repair that was not needed?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:57 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

More times than not it turns out to be the AC idler pulley or one of the tensioners that are squeeking

These are a easy fix for you!

Thanks,Matt
Old 05-21-2013, 07:09 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

take the belts off and start the car....go from there...

water pumps are an easy swap if you are at all mechanically inclined DIY...you can buy one from a forum vendor or local parts store for far less than the dealer charge
Old 05-21-2013, 07:09 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by skeet

I am sure that if it is not the water pump and they say it is then they would not charge for a repair that was not needed?

sorry...
Old 05-24-2013, 05:08 PM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try a Goodyear Gatorback belt it stopped mine from chirping after changing every idler and tensioner with no luck put the Gatorback belt on been quiet as a church mouse every since.
Mine was the A/C drive belt and the belt i took off was a brand new belt from Autozone.
Goodluck!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 PM
JUSTCRZN
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

In Feb. when I picked up my 04Z it had a small chirp. Found a small antifreeze leak in the thermostat housing. Fixed the leak, but not the chirping. It got worse. Someone had posted about switching to the Gator back belts. I did and several thousand miles later no more chirping. The hard part way finding a vendor. Only one in the Boise area. He also mentioned he was selling a lot of belts to cure the chirp.

Get notified of new replies

To Just changed belts and chirping noise is back

Quick Reply: Just changed belts and chirping noise is back