C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 window motor replacement--completed

Old 03-24-2007, 06:36 PM
gene-00
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 window motor replacement--completed

Started at 12:30PM today and finished at 2PM--and that was taking my time and carefully adhering to the mandatory three beers rule.
My concern was that the adjustments of the window would be so difficult that I could envision putting in the new motor and regulator, pressing the up button for the first time and watching the window rise up and through the convertible top like a sharks dorsal fin .
I am very happy to say--Not a problem.
I put the window back into position on the new runners, slowly and carefully raised the window and just about when I thought it was very near the top edge the motor stopped!!! just like that --all by itself.
I ran the window down and lo and behold --the same thing --the motor stopped at the proper point.
So basically the job involved only the following steps once the panel is off.
Remove sound deadening rubber panel-held with a sticky adhesive.
Remove speakers -- 6 peripheral screws.
Loosen one nut on each end of the two window clamps.
Now from the inner metal panel of the door---
Remove one nut from each end of the two guide rails on the regulator.
Remove three nuts on the motor.
Push the small plastic tie holding the cables down free of its receptacle--and that's it!
Remove the window.
Remove the motor and regulator.
From here everything just gets attached right back into the existing holes. Once the motor and regulator were reattached, the window just about slid right into the exact location of the original clamps.
Very easy job no sweat. Micro adjustments are available on the clamps if needed. Mine did not even require this.
I bought the motor and regulator from GMparts direct for $264 total including shipping.

Last edited by gene-00; 03-24-2007 at 08:16 PM. Reason: left out a step.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:42 PM
FUN LS1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Great write up, will remember this thread if I have ever do this.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:57 AM
Jeff Jeff
Burning Brakes

I replaced my driver side regulator / motor today as well. It was much easier than I anticipated the job to be. I was worried I would spend hours trying to get the window adjusted correctly. Took me about 1.5 hours taking my time.

One thing that worried me during the process was the window seemed to have too much of a gap between it and the outer weather stripping. I could not find a way to correct it, but when I put the door panel back on it fixed it.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:35 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I replaced mine and now I have wind noise at speeds over 70mph.
I guess I'll have to pull the panel off and mess with it and then go drive etc.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Jeff Jeff
Burning Brakes

As long as the window is going all the way up, it is probably the tilt that needs to be adjusted. If that is the case you shouldn't have to remove the panel. Just remove the reflector and the plug under the front of the door to make the adjustments.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:24 PM
jthoresen
Advanced

I just replaced my window motor / regulator tonight. Many thanks to in2fun and gene-00 for their write-ups! One piece of advice is markup everything for alignment. This will make your micro-adjustments a breeze.

Jesse
Old 09-23-2007, 11:04 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jeff
One thing that worried me during the process was the window seemed to have too much of a gap between it and the outer weather stripping. I could not find a way to correct it, but when I put the door panel back on it fixed it.
I noticed the same thing. There was a gap that took a considerable force to push the glass out against the outer weather strip. The inner door panel pushed the glass out some, but I was still concerned about the amount of force on the glass. There is no "adjustment" to reduce the gap, but I seriously thought about putting a washer under the top mounting bolt on the regulator guides. I think that would reduce the gap, but might cause clearance problems on the outside or cause the top of the window not to seal correctly. I finally decided to let the window settle in and maybe the glass will deform the rubber mounts enough to reduce the force on the glass. After all, the other side has had 4 years for the glass to seat. Guess I will wait and see. The GM service manual says nothing about having to adjust the position of the rail mounting bolts.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Jeff Wilson
Safety Car

Great write up. Did this yesterday. The only thing that got me was this:

Loosen one nut on each end of the two window clamps.

I would change loosen to remove.

Other than that,
Old 12-27-2009, 01:13 AM
corvettegt
Advanced

Default window motor replacement

do you have and diagrams or pictures on how to do this project.
i sure could use them
Old 12-28-2009, 12:29 PM
SCPDLARRY
Intermediate

Do you have to remove the window if it is stuck in the up position?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:49 AM
homeinspectPBC
1st Gear

Default Terry

I have to adjust the passenger window after dealer replaced motor. Need info on door panel removal and any adjustment to seal window/and upper rubber seal at convertible top . Window does not meet rubber at top and leaks?
Thanks.

Last edited by homeinspectPBC; 01-21-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:57 PM
mikex7
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SCPDLARRY
Do you have to remove the window if it is stuck in the up position?
I know this thread is old... But this is my problem today. I am trying to replace my motor/regulator assembly but the window is stuck in the up position. Did you ever find the answer to your question or can anyone else help? I can not get the window to go down, no matter what I do.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:43 PM
gene-00
Intermediate

Don't know where you have progressed to with the project.
Anyway, it really is not a concern if you have committed to replacing the regulator and you have tried everything else to get the window down.

So you need to do all the steps and remove all materials to get to the point where you can see the regulator and the window.
Once that is done, you should be able to locate the clamps which hold the window in place on the regulator.
Remove the nuts from the clamps and the window should become free and readily removable.
Good luck.
Gene
Old 05-21-2013, 11:08 PM
mikex7
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gene-00
Don't know where you have progressed to with the project.
Anyway, it really is not a concern if you have committed to replacing the regulator and you have tried everything else to get the window down.

So you need to do all the steps and remove all materials to get to the point where you can see the regulator and the window.
Once that is done, you should be able to locate the clamps which hold the window in place on the regulator.
Remove the nuts from the clamps and the window should become free and readily removable.
Good luck.
Gene
Thanks!

Last edited by mikex7; 05-21-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 window motor replacement--completed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 window motor replacement--completed