C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC compressor not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 PM
bobkey777
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC compressor not working

Can anyone give some advice on what might be happening with my recently purchased '98 vert? I was going to run the air today and when I did, the light on the AC button went out after about 5 seconds after I pressed it.
I'm a total nube to the forum, don't know how to read codes or even where to charge the AC on my vette.
I'm not trying to restore my car, just trying to get some enjoyment out of it. It has 199,000 on the odometer and runs like a scalded cheetah! I'm grinning from ear to ear, but it's getting a little humid and warm in Tennessee. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:54 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 547 Likes on 409 Posts

Sounds like the charge in the system is low.Easy to check codes on these cars.I don't have my manuals handy but I would think there would be a code for this condition.Alot of threads on here on how to retrieve the codes.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:14 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There won't be any codes for this problem, but, make sure your outside temp is working correctly, and if it is, it probably as mentioned, needs the system checked for leaks. The AC valves are located on the passenger side of the engine, on the top and easy to see.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:24 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 547 Likes on 409 Posts

My manual states a code p0530 as a refrigerant pressure circuit code.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:13 PM
kenlilley
Intermediate

Yeah i agree check the pressure level on the ac system, if it is low take it to a A/C shop and have them charge it, or you can do it yourself, just buy a cheap gauge from advance auto parts and a can or two of R-134. once it is charged (the gauge should read in the green, about 30 PSI) then you should be good. If you still have the same problem you probably have a leak somewhere, buy a can of R-134 with green dye, charge again and look for the green dye, that will indicate where it is leaking. You could need a new A/C compressor or it could be as simple as tightening the schrader valve on the low side of the system. If you need a new compressor you will probably be looking at 1,100 $ for parts and labor, I just replaced mine, it took me 3 days but saved me a lot of money, but its not easy, and very time consuming!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:16 PM
kenlilley
Intermediate

By the way the low side valve is located right by the battery heat shield, it will have a black cap on it. If you buy a gauge and do this your self the gauge will only fit on the low side. valve
Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 PM
Kettyperry15
3rd Gear

It seems that charging of your system is low. Firstly, you have to charge your system fully. Make sure about pressure level on the AC system and your outside temperature is moderate. These problems may affects the AC system.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 PM
bobkey777
Intermediate

Hey everybody, I pulled the codes and the following showed up:
B0361 H (left actuator feedback short to ground)
B0363 H (left actuator feedback open)
B0441 H C (left actuator out of range)
P1545 H C (A/C clutch relay control circuit)
P1546 H C (A/C clutch feedback circuit low voltage)
Now that I have the codes, can anyone let me know what they mean? Do I need a new compressor and clutch? Is there something wrong with my ac controller? I don't want to just throw new parts at it and not solve the problem. Summer is coming and don't want to roast in my car. Thanks for the help all!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:38 PM
bobkey777
Intermediate

Also, the ac button blinks 7 times when I push it in then shuts off. Just FYI.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:11 AM
kenlilley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bobkey777
Hey everybody, I pulled the codes and the following showed up:
B0361 H (left actuator feedback short to ground)
B0363 H (left actuator feedback open)
B0441 H C (left actuator out of range)
P1545 H C (A/C clutch relay control circuit)
P1546 H C (A/C clutch feedback circuit low voltage)
Now that I have the codes, can anyone let me know what they mean? Do I need a new compressor and clutch? Is there something wrong with my ac controller? I don't want to just throw new parts at it and not solve the problem. Summer is coming and don't want to roast in my car. Thanks for the help all!
First did you charge the system? It seems to me know that you need to replace both your blend doors, do a search on how to replace them and there will be a few write ups on what to do. I think the dealer charges around 1000 $ just to change both of these, if you are the least bit mechanically inclined I would go ahead and do it, should only take you about 2 days. I'm not sure about the P1545-46 codes I would do a search on those and report back with the answer.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

HANG ON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, First thing that you need to do is get a schematic for your car and start checking FUSES, RELAYS and power and grounds to the system electronics..

I can tell by the DTCs that you have, you have a Dual Zone System.

Turn the system OFF, clear ALL the DTCs and turn the system back ON. See if the same DTCs come back.

Start with the basics

Fuse 18:

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 05-22-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:40 PM
bobkey777
Intermediate

Dang Bill, I know you're like the Jedi master when it comes to these cars, but I don't know where to begin troubleshooting the schematics. I was going to shoot some charge in it this weekend, and also replace the compressor clutch since I had the clutch feedback to ground code... You're right that its a dual zone system. I did check and clean the grounds for the ebctm on both the drivers and passenger side because my abs and traction control lights are on constantly. I'll check any fuse or relay you might advise... I just gotta know where they are on my car. I bought this last week and have been driving it every chance I get... So happy to have it. I plan to keep it for a good long time, and want to fix all the bugs that matter along the way.
Thanks for your advice and any guidance you might provide.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 PM
bobkey777
Intermediate

Bill, long story short... you're the man. I checked the fuse block near the battery and someone had literally pulled the A/C relay from the fuse block. I popped a new one in for 24 bucks, charged the system to 40 psi and BAM! cold air!
thanks for the encouragement to check the basics.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:28 PM
bobkey777
Intermediate

the relay I put back in the fuse block was relay 46. The only DIC code I'm getting is the B0441 history and current (left actuator out of range). I have purchased the hole guts to the HVAC ducting from a new friend on the forum located near me. I'll attempt once I do some more research on the forum.

Get notified of new replies

To AC compressor not working

Quick Reply: AC compressor not working