C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air bag light comes on when passengers side is turned on

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:59 PM
brandyspaw
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Air bag light on

On my recently acquired 2001 vert the air bag light stays on unless the passengers side air bag is turned off. Then the air bag warning light in the dash goes off as long as the passengers side air bag is turned off.

I checked DTC's and it has B0018 stored both current and in history.
That code is the passengers side front deployment loop showing either a short to ground or voltage out of range.

This Corvette has only 12K miles on it and doesn't appear to have been wrecked. It did come from the South where a lot of humidity occurs.

Any common connectors or wiring I should check? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by brandyspaw; 05-18-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:10 PM
brandyspaw
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, I've worked through the pages of Bill Curlee's electrical sticky and checked all the grounds with everything looking good and finding no problems there.

I can't erase the B0018 code so it must be a short to ground or short
to power (as the diagnosis DTC says) thats consistant rather than intermitant as the code won't disappear with reset.

I've checked connections at the passengers side on/off switch and light as well as the passengers side air bag. I haven't pulled the sdm module out by the radio to check connections and I guess thats the next logical step.

Before I do, would the passengers seat belt have a connection in the passengers side are bag system? The pass. seat belt must have a lock up when the air bags deploy so I would assume it would have to be in the electrical loop as well.
Plus, the older 97-00 C5 passenger air bag bypass kits had a replacement passengers side belt. Any thoughts on that?

I know I'm at a disadvantage trying to fix this without the proper manuals or knowledge but I'd really like to delve further before giving up and taking it the dealer.

Quick Reply: Air bag light comes on when passengers side is turned on