C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To replace the clutch or not, that is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 PM
CorvetteAustin24
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To replace the clutch or not, that is the question...

I posted awhile back about my 2nd gear having troubles, 2001 coupe, 28,000 miles. It will not shift from 1st to 2nd at high RPM. I just completed the Ranger Clutch Method and it made shifting in every other gear super smooth (so glad I did this!) I attempted another 1st to 2nd gear at high RPM, and grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, same nasty grinding issue.

Things I'm noticing that might help diagnose the issue:
  • Slight smell for about 15 seconds after the gear grinds
  • I can shift at high RPM into every other gear just fine
  • Shifting into gears at a dead stop is smooth in every gear except 2nd, it just feels off
  • I can still shift into 2nd just fine at normal speeds and it pulls really hard (awesome!), doesn't pop out of gear

It seems I have it narrowed down to the master cylinder, the slave cylinder, the shifter alignment, or the transmission. I plan on doing the shifter alignment next, but as I mentioned earlier, every other gear shifts smooth as butter now.

What is my best option now that will cost me the least amount and also the least amount of headache? I had a dealership quote me a new clutch at $2100 which is absolutely nuts.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If it has been grinding for very long, I would be worried about syncro damage. I have been pricing labor for a clutch change, and it seems to run $700 to $1000, depending on the shop. Dealer would be most expensive.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 AM
CorvetteAustin24
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing I forgot to mention. Sometimes when I'm pushing in the clutch, I'll hear a "click" sound. I don't hear it all the time, so I'd say maybe 25% of the time.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteAustin24
Another thing I forgot to mention. Sometimes when I'm pushing in the clutch, I'll hear a "click" sound. I don't hear it all the time, so I'd say maybe 25% of the time.
That's probably the assist spring....about to break.

Get notified of new replies

To To replace the clutch or not, that is the question...

Quick Reply: To replace the clutch or not, that is the question...