Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
Supercharged111
CF Senior Member

Default Leaky butt question

Going to replace output shaft seals, I'll save the o-rings and sealant for when the clutch gives up. My question is about the vent, it's clearly been puking for some time. I HPDE the car frequently and no doubt cook the crap out of it. Is there anything I can do about the vent puking? It wasn't overserviced, so I don't know what else to do here. There was a puddle on top of the diff, so no question that it was coming from there as well as the output shaft seals.

Supercharged111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
seattle
CF Senior Member

i thought about adding this vent to mine.
Autozone sells them.
K&N/Vent air filter
Part Number: 62-1000
seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
ZeeOSix
CF Senior Member

Going with an open vent with a filter on it is probably the best solution. Get away from the one-way spring loaded vent which can stick. If they would have used a Teflon seal instead of rubber in the vent, it probably wouldn't stick and have problems. The rubber tends to stick, and then the differential builds up lots of pressure and will finally make the vent pop open and puke oil out.

There's a thread or two in the Tech forum I believe that talks about using an open vent to cure the puking.
ZeeOSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:59 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Leaky butt question