C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Reprogram Tire Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Can't Reprogram Tire Sensors

I followed this procedure here to the letter…

Everything worked just as in the Video until it came time to place the magnet on the first Front Left Tire Stem. Could not get a "honk" at all.

I finally purchased one of the magnets ($17) designed just for that purpose, tried again, nothing?

What could be wrong?

All 4 sensors appear to be working fine - replaced them about 4 years ago, but Discount Tire swapped my Right/Left rear wheels, so now I need to reprogram.

Finally I thought maybe my horn was dead (I have never used it in 13 years, but tried that an it was fine.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Choreo
I followed this procedure here to the letter…
C5 Corvette TPMS Reset - CorvetteOnline.com - YouTube

Everything worked just as in the Video until it came time to place the magnet on the first Front Left Tire Stem. Could not get a "honk" at all.

I finally purchased one of the magnets ($17) designed just for that purpose, tried again, nothing?

What could be wrong?

All 4 sensors appear to be working fine - replaced them about 4 years ago, but Discount Tire swapped my Right/Left rear wheels, so now I need to reprogram.

Finally I thought maybe my horn was dead (I have never used it in 13 years, but tried that an it was fine.
when did the sensors stop working?
let me rephrase.... right now are all the sensors reporting a tire pressure?
did you follow the sensor sequence?
you only have a short amount of time to register each corner.
did
explain exactly what Discount tire did? did the remove any tires from any wheels.? you just cant swap tires from side to side if they are directional. If not directional just switch them back..
You do know that YOU HAVE TO REPROGRAM EACH CORNER AGAIN, YOU JUST CANT REDO THE REARS. AND YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE SEQUENCE.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-11-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
when did the sensors stop working?
let me rephrase.... right now are all the sensors reporting a tire pressure?
did you follow the sensor sequence?
you only have a short amount of time to register each corner.
did
explain exactly what Discount tire did? did the remove any tires from any wheels.? you just cant swap tires from side to side if they are directional. If not directional just switch them back..
You do know that YOU HAVE TO REPROGRAM EACH CORNER AGAIN, YOU JUST CANT REDO THE REARS. AND YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE SEQUENCE.
• Yes, all 4 sensors are reporting the correct pressures

• Yes, I did follow the "sequence". I did this a few years ago when I got new sensors and I realize that I need to move quickly between all 4 wheels starting with the front left.

• I purchased a new set of Michelin A/S ZP Plus tires a couple years ago and Discount Tire has the directional tires mounted correctly (in the right direction for each wheel), but they somehow swapped the right and left rear wheels (hence, sensors too) before mounting the new tires.

• Yes, I understand that I have to reprogram ALL 4 wheels at the same time. I just cannot get the first wheel (left front) to honk the horn. It is just like it does not recognize the magnet. I have tried 3 powerful magnets (including the new one from today). I even tried removing the valve stem caps. I still have the factory Speedline Thinspoke wheels from nearly 13 years ago.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 PM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a bigger magnet. I had the same issue and bought a magnet designed for resetting the TPMS. Didn't work so i found an big old stereo speaker with a really big magnet. Worked like a charm.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

At this point , I agree that you are not getting the magnet in the right spot or its not strong enough. My sensors will react to a small pencil magnet, while others require a much stronger magnet.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:59 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

try putting a couple of the magnets on it instead of just one.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 AM
Tomm1011
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Key fob and TPM use the same transmiter. Its located under the upoltery above the lrft rear wheel..Check the anttenae for continuoty. Mine was bad. Put a frop of solder on it and it worked. Just a thought.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:38 PM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the market for new TPM sensors to replace my 13 year old originals. OEM replacements seem to be about $100 on ebay or Amazon.
I did find aftermarket X-Tra Seal # 40049 which are supposed to be good for years 1997-2000. These are only $36 each and supposedly manufactured by Schrader Electronics. I talked to a Tech Support person who said they are not programed by a magnet like the OEM sensors, but need a scan tool. This may explain why your replacemnt sensors from Discount Tire won't work with a magnet. So, did they use OEM TPMs or these aftermarket TPMs? The Techie stated that most large tire stores should have the correct scan tool. This is a start, and I'd like to hear from anyone with more complete, accurate information on this topic.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:39 PM
REDEVIL
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I had a similar problem when I had new tires installed. The shop couldn't get one tire to reprogram...even with their tool. When I got home I used an old speaker magnet and it worked.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The horn beeping by pressing the steering wheel pad is DIFFERENT than the horn beeping by way of the BCM controlling it.

Can you set the Fob so that it BEEPS the horn when you lock the car and does it work when the BCM tells it to beep????

Give that a look see and see if the BCM can enable the horn.

Press the PANIC button on the FOB and that will also show you that the BCM controls the lights and horn!
Old 11-05-2022, 12:06 PM
jakvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tpms problem

Hi guys ,

I have a similar issue with the tpms sensors on a 1999 c5 . I purchased new sensors because I didn’t know when they were changed last . Sensors came pre programmed according to the e bay seller , but I have no pressure readings on the cluster , horn does not honk at all even though I have a reset tool and the fob training does not work .
The horn does work from the steering wheel and I know it’s not part of the tpms system . Where do I find this problem and fix it .

thanks guys
Old 11-05-2022, 01:40 PM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 263 Posts

Did they send you the ones for the early C5 or did they mistakenly send ones for the later C5s?

Did you go through the programming with the DIC in programming mode? I wouldn’t trust them being preprogrammed.

Also when I programmed new ones to my 2002 it took leaving the magnet on each one individually a lot longer than I assumed it would initially.

Old 11-05-2022, 07:31 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Some sensors do not sync with a magnet. You follow that same procedure but instead of a magnet you let air out of the tire for a few secs until horn blows
Old 11-07-2022, 03:06 AM
jakvette
Racer

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses , greatly appreciated .
I will try both of the above and see what i can come up with . So just to confirm the key fob has nothing to do with the tpms system , as this also does not want to program either and i thought the two systems were linked in some way ?

Cheers

John
Old 11-08-2022, 10:53 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

They are linked. The key fob and tpms function through a common receiver/antenna located under the drivers side rear fender behind the gas filler. Its accessed through the rear compartment.The connector may have worked loose, or the module has failed.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:45 AM
jakvette
Racer

Hi MAC5

Thanks for the response.
I think this is most likely the reason as both functions do not operate. Neither produce a honk from the horn when trying to learn the key fob absolutely nothing happens and when carrying out the tpms relearn also nothing happens so something common to both systems are not working
I know there is a relay in the bms system module, however which one it is and whether it is replaceable is another story.
Thanks again for your assistance, i will check out the aerial module and see if i can locate a problem there.

Regards,

John
Old 11-09-2022, 03:50 PM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 641 Likes on 426 Posts

Are you getting any codes? The service manual has a list of ten different codes on page 3-119 that can help you troubleshoot.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't Reprogram Tire Sensors

Old 11-10-2022, 05:12 AM
jakvette
Racer

Hi,

Yes unfortunately there are a stack of codes on this car, however some or quite a few may well be historic codes but i will check the specific ones relating to the TPMS and the key fob access codes tonight .

Thanks for your help and taking the time out to help out by replying to my post

Cheers ,

John
Old 11-13-2022, 11:39 AM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

One other solution is to upgrade the sensors to 2003, change out the receiver, and buy two new fobs. I did this with my '98 about 3 years ago and everything works perfectly.
Receiver out of a wrecked 2003 for $35.00 and bought new sensors on Amazon for about $100.00. Went on Ebay and bought two new fobs for $10.00. I would agree that prices have surely risen since then but nice to have an upgraded system and not worry about it...
Old 11-14-2022, 01:01 AM
jakvette
Racer

Hi,
Thank you everyone for offering advice on this topic.
I think this route is one i will look at to see if i can solve the issue. I have read on another thread that the non oem sensors cannot be programmed in the usual way with a magnet. The sensors i purchased were supposed to be preprogrammed, that's why i got them but they do not want to be accepted in the tire reset mode. Also, neither will the key fob training do anything at all even though i have 3 remotes. Not one will program.

I am backing the sentiments of other members that the issue is linked to a faulty transmitter, so your suggestion makes absolute sense. Just one question that i do have for you though, is did you fit oem sensors or aftermarket sensors?

Cheers,

John

Quick Reply: Can't Reprogram Tire Sensors