C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 PM
rttmike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random no start issue

I have posted about this before thinking it was an aftermarket alarm issue.

about half of the time I get in the vette, I get in and hit the key. The fuel pump cycles, the gauges all cycle, but the starter does nothing. After I arm and disarm the alarm a few times, (sometimes taking 10 minutes) the car eventually cranks and runs. I did just officially have the VATS shut off so I know this is not the issue.

Also, I went under the dash with a test light. I tested the yellow wire off of the ignition switch. As far as I know, this is the wire that tells the starter to turn over. I have power to both ends when hitting the key. Keep in mind, this wire is in fact spliced into for the aftermarket alarm. But both ends show power when it should.

I did some research on the alarm. I am not 100% certain which one it is but I do know it is made by the same company that makes viper alarms. At this point I am unsure if this is an alarm issue or the car itself. Does anybody have any input?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 PM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This just started happening to me as well.
If your situation is a "no crank" type then try this. When you turn the key all of the way to the right to engage the starter (and it does not start), try backing off ever so slightly. Mine starts everytime this way and I think it may be contatcs or the switch itself, I just haven't had time to dig into it.
If this is not your symptom then please disregard. lol.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 PM
rttmike
Racer

I tried this with no luck.

Also I should note that when I do turn the key to tray and start it, I do hear relays clicking.

Originally Posted by maxx2200
This just started happening to me as well.
If your situation is a "no crank" type then try this. When you turn the key all of the way to the right to engage the starter (and it does not start), try backing off ever so slightly. Mine starts everytime this way and I think it may be contatcs or the switch itself, I just haven't had time to dig into it.
If this is not your symptom then please disregard. lol.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

if you hear relays clicking yours is really easy. it's either the solenoid or lack of power. from what i've gathered the c5 staters generally fail at the solenoid.

lot of times there is no noise at all and it still traces back to the solenoid and or clutch switch

vats issues should have the security light flashing

new delco starter is 130 something shipped on amazon and the clutch switch is 6
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Dag Skagney
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I also had intermittent no start issues with symptoms same as yours. In my case it was starter/solenoid. Replaced starter and all good for a few months now. Good luck, hope your issue is as simple as mine was.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:39 AM
bpenn8966
Advanced

Had the issue in mine as well a little while back, would start fine 99% of the time, but every once in a while nothting. Turned out the connections on the starter were just loose enough to lose connection and had a slight bit of corrosion on them. After cleaning with a wire brush, some dielectric grease and tightening back down problem was solved, has not happened again. Just something to take a look at too.

Get notified of new replies

To Random no start issue

Quick Reply: Random no start issue