C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Advice/Thread for Removing Rear Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Best Advice/Thread for Removing Rear Rotors

I performed a search, however some of the information was beyond the scope of my project.

What is the easiest way to remove the rear rotors off of a C5 for general cleaning and painting of the hats and perhaps a sanding of the calipers if I choose to install larger Eardispeed + 2 rotors? I would like to disassemble as little as possible and simply push the calipers out of the way if possible.

Thanks!

Last edited by MSG C5; 05-02-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I performed a search, however some of the information was beyond the scope of my project.

What is the easiest way to remove the rear rotors off of a C5 for general cleaning and painting of the hats and perhaps a sanding of the rotors if I choose to install larger Eardispeed + 2 rotors? I would like to disassemble as little as possible and simply push the calipers out of the way if possible.

Thanks!

With the c5 being 16 years old , and cleaning and changing rotors have been a popular discussion on this forum with thousands of pictures, and procedures. Anything posted here would just be a continuation of what has already been expressed at least a hundred times. Everyone quotes the easiest way. You mentioned the scope of your project. For many, the scope of cleaning and removing and painting as been a very popular project. To specifically answer your question. As little as possible also includes everything necessary to remove the rotor. remove the caliper, and remove the caliper bracket. the rotor will then fall off. Not sure exactly what you mean by sanding the rotors a little to install +2 rotors. I have 14 inch plus 2 rotors on the back and sanding the old rotors has nothing to do with installing the + 2's.

If you ask specific questions we can give you specific answers.
I told you the caliper has to come off and so does the bracket. The ebrake has to be disengages in order to remove the rotor from the ebrake shoes.

Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-02-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
With the c5 being 16 years old , and cleaning and changing rotors have been a popular discussion on this forum with thousands of pictures, and procedures. Anything posted here would just be a continuation of what has already been expressed at least a hundred times. Everyone quotes the easiest way. You mentioned the scope of your project. For many, the scope of cleaning and removing and painting as been a very popular project. To specifically answer your question. As little as possible also includes everything necessary to remove the rotor. remove the caliper, and remove the caliper bracket. the rotor will then fall off. Not sure exactly what you mean by sanding the rotors a little to install +2 rotors. I have 14 inch plus 2 rotors on the back and sanding the old rotors has nothing to do with installing the + 2's.

If you ask specific questions we can give you specific answers.
I told you the caliper has to come off and so does the bracket. The ebrake has to be disengages in order to remove the rotor from the ebrake shoes.

Bill aka ET
Basically, a two-part project. My first project is to clean up the existing hats on my Baer Eradispeed 1-piece rotors. Since I'm running CCW wheels, if I then decide to upgrade to the +2 rotors, I will need to either sand down my calipers (Toque's solution) or use spacers (which I don't want to do). Note - I edited my original post because I incorrectly referenced sanding the rotors instead of sanding the calipers.
Depending on which direction I decide to go, if I have the brakes apart for the rotor work, I might go ahead and sand down the calipers even if I don't add the +2 rotors until a few months down the road.

Last edited by MSG C5; 05-02-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Basically, a two-part project. My first project is to clean up the existing hats on my Baer Eradispeed 1-piece rotors. Since I'm running CCW wheels, if I then decide to upgrade to the +2 rotors, I will need to either sand down my calipers (Toque's solution) or use spacers (which I don't want to do). Note - I edited my original post because I incorrectly referenced sanding the rotors instead of sanding the calipers.
Depending on which direction I decide to go, if I have the brakes apart for the rotor work, I might go ahead and sand down the calipers even if I don't add the +2 rotors until a few months down the road.
You need to fit the rotors to see just how much sanding you need. I don't think that sanding will remove enough material for the clearance. You will have to grind them, and if you remove too much material you will destroy the caliper. You should wait and use the actual rotor set that you get. My CCW's were designed and offset to accommodate the 14 inch rotors.Not sure why you don't want to use a spacer...its only 3/16 inch, and keeps the integrity of the caliper.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-02-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

You need to fit the rotors to see just how much sanding you need. I don't think that sanding will remove enough material for the clearance. You will have to grind them, and if you remove too much material you will destroy the caliper. You should wait and use the actual rotor set that you get. My CCW's were designed and offset to accommodate the 14 inch rotors.Not sure why you don't want to use a spacer...its only 3/16 inch, and keeps the integrity of the caliper.
Interesting. I thought you had your CCW 505s before you had the larger BE +2 rotors. How was the 3/16 inch spacer determined?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Interesting. I thought you had your CCW 505s before you had the larger BE +2 rotors. How was the 3/16 inch spacer determined?
John at CCW told me the added offset.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

John at CCW told me the added offset.
Thanks. I will give John a call as well as he originally set me up with my set of 505As. I checked their website and didn't see any spacers so I will ask him what brand they recommend.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:13 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

John will cut you a set of aluminum spacers, cut to your specifications.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by bumble-z
John will cut you a set of aluminum spacers, cut to your specifications.
He was doing this for many of his customers.... He might even have a CNC program now to make spacers, as the spacers are made from the same billet block the wheel is made from,, just some excess material in the offset process.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Advice/Thread for Removing Rear Rotors

Quick Reply: Best Advice/Thread for Removing Rear Rotors