C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dipstick tube broke off in block -- need replacement for 12562468

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 PM
kernelPanicked
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dipstick tube broke off in block -- need replacement for 12562468

Had a real tearjerker today when, doing some final work to my motor with a recent H&C&I job, I had my oil dipstick tube break off in the block. Fortunately I do not have to submit one of those frantic "what do I do" posts because I was able to extract it using a magnet tool. Now I have a smaller problem.

My block is 2000, my heads are 2002 243s. The P/N on my dipstick is 12562468. Doesn't seem that this part exists anymore, so I cannot order a direct replacement.

I'd like to have correct oil readings. Can I buy any style dipstick/tube combination, as long as they're matched? Or can I buy only the older, bolt-to-manifold style?

Also if anyone has gone to a flex or other dipstick and would like to sell their stocker, I'm interested. I'll post in FS/W too.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:49 AM
f1reb1rd
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Default broken oil dipstick

try corvette central they sell oem parts 20.00
Old 05-03-2013, 06:00 AM
kernelPanicked
Instructor

Originally Posted by f1reb1rd
try corvette central they sell oem parts 20.00
Thanks for the tip, it was worth a shot...but they list it as discontinued. Everywhere else I've looked was similar, discontinued or unavailable.

So to put my question another way...does anyone know if the other dipsticks available bolt up and read right? I figure as long as the dipstick hole on the block is in the same spot, it should be fine. But then I've seen some threads where guys are saying the hole was in the pan, not the block, on some LS?

Last edited by kernelPanicked; 05-03-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

wow, never heard of this before! if you can't get a replacement then your only other choice is to repair the original part.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 AM
kernelPanicked
Instructor

Zero chance I'm gonna try to repair this. This metal looks like it's about as thick as a soup can. I tried that in welding class, didn't go so well .

I can run it with what is left, I think, especially if I can get a larger O-ring to sit between the flange and the block. It will always read a little low if I do that but within the range. Acceptable temporary fix.

However, I don't think I'm done yet. They still make the newer AND older design dipsticks. I have to think one of them will work. From the looks of it, I am going to be the first to find out...
Old 05-03-2013, 09:01 AM
kernelPanicked
Instructor

By the way, I had not heard of it either, but if you Google "ls1 dipstick broke off in block," you'll see I'm not the first guy this has happened to. And I got lucky being able to rescue it with a magnet tool.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:30 AM
kernelPanicked
Instructor

Just called a GM dealer. Discontinued and no cross-reference or known replacement. He said to go aftermarket, though after this experience I'm not too sure I want an aluminum dipstick! I might gamble $20 on trying the newer GM design before I drop $60-100 on aftermarket anyway. The heads and dipstick hole are pretty much (exactly?) in the same spot, I don't see why it wouldn't bolt up and read right.

If I work out a GM cross-ref, I'll post it here for future 99/00 owner problems.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:30 AM
d_toll
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A salvage yard would be a good place to check.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I have with another car used a non original dipstick and calibrated it for the motor. I did this when the motor was out of the car so I could use it for a modified oil pan and windage tray to set the oil level where I wanted it. If you know your oil level was good you could get another C5 dipstick and make sure the length is approximately correct. May have to trim some off the end if it is too long. Insert and mark the new stick with a file for full and low.

I can measure my 2001 dipstick and tell you how long it is compared to yours. I did buy a spare dipstick about 2 years ago so if the yellow handle discolored I could replace it. They may still be available.

Get notified of new replies

To Dipstick tube broke off in block -- need replacement for 12562468

Quick Reply: Dipstick tube broke off in block -- need replacement for 12562468