C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't get in gear-getting towed in AM, Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

Default can't get in gear-getting towed in AM, Help

2003 6sp, 27000 miles: My universe was fine yesterday, this morning I could not shift in any gear with the car running but it would go in gear with key at the "on" position. No codes, no leaks. Changed the clutch fluid. When starting in gear the car wants to move very slowly with the clutch pressed all the way. Dealer believes it's the master clutch cylinder. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 01:02 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Originally Posted by c6miller
2003 6sp, 27000 miles: My universe was fine yesterday, this morning I could not shift in any gear with the car running but it would go in gear with key at the "on" position. No codes, no leaks. Changed the clutch fluid. When starting in gear the car wants to move very slowly with the clutch pressed all the way. Dealer believes it's the master clutch cylinder. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
looks like the master clutch cylinder, also need new oil pan gasket. always something
Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Do you have a remote bleeder?? Sounds like theres air in the clutch hydraulics. The master cylinders do fail but seldon at that mileage.

How did you change the fluid??

You can change out a master cyl in a couple of hours. Pretty easy if your mechanically inclined.

Are you sure you need a new pan gasket?????? The small screws that secure the lower pan to the main pan sometimes just need to be retorqued. They are torqued to 106 INCH POUNDS so do not over torque them.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:57 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by c6miller
looks like the master clutch cylinder, also need new oil pan gasket. always something
The stealership will always find something. I would be suspect of a master cylinder at your mileage.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Do you have a remote bleeder?? Sounds like theres air in the clutch hydraulics. The master cylinders do fail but seldon at that mileage.

How did you change the fluid??

You can change out a master cyl in a couple of hours. Pretty easy if your mechanically inclined.

Are you sure you need a new pan gasket?????? The small screws that secure the lower pan to the main pan sometimes just need to be retorqued. They are torqued to 106 INCH POUNDS so do not over torque them.
I did the Ranger method which I do regularly every few months. I was not sure what the issue was so I thought it would be best to tow it to the dealer before I started putting in new parts I did not know would fix the problem. I needed to have the a/c freon checked anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To can't get in gear-getting towed in AM, Help

Quick Reply: can't get in gear-getting towed in AM, Help