C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car has power, but wont start. Need input!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 AM
iceman82nd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car has power, but wont start. Need input!

I have on 02' Z51 Coupe. Garaged for the winter and started every month and rolled up/down driveway. I have unplugged the battery after each time for uncertainty of when the next start would be. The last time I started my car was 3 weeks ago, then ran her up and down the street. I had to put her on the charger for 5 minutes prior but she started right up and purred. I went to my car today after getting it registered and it wouldn't crank. I bought a new battery after a few failed attempts (thinking that was the cause), but still got no where. I put the key in and turn it, all the lights and gauges turn on and act normal. Battery voltage is roughly 11.9 as soon as I turn the key to 'start' it wont do anything. The lights and everything stay on and act normal though. The battery voltage doesn't drop nor do anything crazy. Last year or the year before this had happened once - I had jiggled the key around and or switched keys and it was fine. This time that isn't the case.I hooked my brothers truck up with jumpers directly to the terminals of my car to try and start it. With all that juice it didn't start either.. which makes me think it's not the batter.

What I've tried:
-unplug/plug battery connectors. (terminals look great and wiring to and from looks unharmed)
-locking and unlocking car using fob
-leaving car in the 'on' stage for 10/20 minutes then turning it off to reset security

I've come to think it's a security issue (maybe VATS), or some malfunction in that field.

If you've heard of this happening or know how to correct this please let me know. I don't have much time before I leave town for a little while.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

check fuses?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:52 AM
iceman82nd
Racer

Fuses seem to be fine.

I thought security or VATS for awhile, but when i replaced the battery it went back to blinking as normal in all positions. I currently think now after doing a little research it's the starter or the starter relay. Im going to go test the purple wire and see if that's getting voltage and tapping on the starter while starting the car. Is there any easy way to get to the starter from the top of the car or should i get it jacked up and try and get underneath?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by iceman82nd
Fuses seem to be fine.

I thought security or VATS for awhile, but when i replaced the battery it went back to blinking as normal in all positions. I currently think now after doing a little research it's the starter or the starter relay. Im going to go test the purple wire and see if that's getting voltage and tapping on the starter while starting the car. Is there any easy way to get to the starter from the top of the car or should i get it jacked up and try and get underneath?
if you have a wooden dowel like broom handle you can get it from the top..
Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 PM
iceman82nd
Racer

Tapped on the starter while trying to start it.. no response.. still sitting next to vette not sure why to try next.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman82nd
Tapped on the starter while trying to start it.. no response.. still sitting next to vette not sure why to try next.
Get under it and take a look at the wires around the starter. Not uncommon for these to get cooked. Still need those codes.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 PM
iceman82nd
Racer

I am having triple a come to do a diagnosis of starter ans whatnot. It was only throw left and right door control module.I reset those and figured that wouldn't be any reason for why it wouldn't atleast turn over. Tried jump starting it but that was a no go.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:27 PM
iceman82nd
Racer

My car is so low I have to drive it on boards in order to get a jack under it so I can see the wires under neath. I was going to wait for triple a so when they start to put it on the truck bed I can get a glimpse underneath.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 PM
iceman82nd
Racer

Starter it is. Now it's unfortunate that the headers and exhaust being in the way its going to be a few hr job...

Get notified of new replies

To Car has power, but wont start. Need input!

Quick Reply: Car has power, but wont start. Need input!