C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmmmm. Seat moving by itself.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

Default Hmmmm. Seat moving by itself.

I noticed that my seat was in a different position this morning, so I hit the memory button, nothing. So I reset the seat to my position and reset the memory setting. All is good for a bit. As I was sitting at a light, the seat changed positions. It moved on its own several more times during my 6 mile drive. We did get a nasty rain yesterday, about 3 inches over 1.5 hours and the car does sit out and will lightly leak in heavy rains. No sustantial moisture in the car, but is there a possibility something took a bath to cause this? Or did something just happen to go south and it just happened to rain? Thoughts, ideas?

TIA

Ron
Old 04-22-2013, 02:44 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

When it leaks where is it at in the car?

Pull your codes and let us know.

Could be the seat control module or the BCM acting up. May be others causes, not at home with my FSM now.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Will pull the codes tonight. The car is 52 miler from where I sit. It leaks around the top of the drivers side glass. Drips a bit on the seat, not like there is standing water, just an ounce or two.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Got back to the car and the seat still moved abit on its own. The controls didn't really want to move the seat. Felt/sound like it was binding. Some motor is running constistently. I pulled the codes and unplugged the seat, motor stopped humming and at least the seat is in a somewhat usable position. Codes are: B2197C/H which is a short to ground.

Bad Seat Control Module?

Last edited by Ron C!; 04-22-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Does not sound like the BCM but at the seat. Let me pull up some prior posts and look at my FSM and will get back to you.

PS: If your car sits outside make sure ALL the utters are clean. There are 5 total. Here is a post on it. Some say you can get to the hard one by removing the battery and tray. Not sure if that works or not. Manily you want to keep the passenger side from getting on the BCM.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...lure-pics.html
Old 04-23-2013, 07:31 AM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Has to be the SCM or the switch. The code is actually:

B2197 Seat Reverse Switch Shorted to GND

I am thinking with the leak from the rain, since the drivers seat got a bit of moisture that the switch may have got some water in it. Maybe the first thing to do is replace the switch?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Ron,

TOP 10 C5 ELECTRICAL FAILURE, for the 'quick fix' so your battery does not drain, go over to the pass kick panel/fuse box, pull the seat CB(towards the bottom, it will stand out, almost a chrome look to the metal CB, there is one for the driver and passenger

I left my new(to me) 2002 coupe down in Clinton CT for a few days while renting a 20 foot box truck, rained on Friday night, got the SCM wet and same exact thing, I'll be addressing the targa top seals shortly
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Do you think that is is more the SCM than the switch? I felt around under the seat and could not feel any obvious dampness. And , yes, top seals are on the list of "to do". And may have moved up closer to the top.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

When mine started running the passenger seat lumbar motor itself it was moisture in the switch assembly. The code and your symtoms seem to suggest it's your switch as well.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
When mine started running the passenger seat lumbar motor itself it was moisture in the switch assembly. The code and your symtoms seem to suggest it's your switch as well.
I am thinking the same. I am going to pull the seat tonight and check for moisture in the seat, clean up all of the connections, and put it all back together and see what it does. Plan B would be to just replace the switch.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Looked at my FSM. You are on the right track. I would replace the switch first. I don't think it is the SCM. It seems to be throwing the code for you. Let us know how it goes.

PS: Unless you can prove you had moisture in the switch and that alone caused it, by not replacing the switch it will probably come back and leave you maybe stranded with a dead battery if the motor tries to run repeatedly. The FSM does not cover this (I can not find it), but I have been told the motor is protected by an overcurrent relay that resets but it can run your battery down in the interim. Someone correct me or clarify if I am incorrect. I don't want to give out bum info.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:37 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

dadaroo - The protection will be the circuit breakers in the fuse panel that Steve mentioned.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Pulled the seat out. There was more moisture than I had anticipated. Pulled the switch and dried it out along with the plug. Added some dialectric grease and plugged it all back in, and the seat does move up and back, as well as the bladder pump stopped running. I set teh seat to my setting and unplugged the power to the seat. Even though it is workable, I am going to pick up a new switch and install when I rebuild the seat tracks. Thanks for the assist guys.

Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Hmmmm. Seat moving by itself.

Quick Reply: Hmmmm. Seat moving by itself.