C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T1 to coilover

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:34 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default T1 to coilover

The original owner of my 2000FRC had Lingenfelter put on the full T1 suspension kit while the car was their for an engine package. I have had the car for 6 years and I am thinking about going to coil overs. The shocks have a little over 50,000 miles on them so I know they need replacing. The car is great on smooth roads, but they are few and far between in California. Has anyone else made this switch, or tried something other than the Sachs shocks?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coilovers hands down.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I run PFADT Feather Lights with their 3 piece sway bars. The Feather Lights have more travel than the other brand of adjustable coilovers I ran before so I can set the suspension a little softer and the car still handles like a gokart. Ride quality is excellent! My sways are set close to the T1 specs.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:59 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You will notice a big difference in the coil overs.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:13 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

the full T1 suspension uses different control arms if I'm not mistaken. Make sure the coilovers will be compatible.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SaberD
the full T1 suspension uses different control arms if I'm not mistaken. Make sure the coilovers will be compatible.
That is something I will need to check into.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I think the only difference in the control arms is the bushings. Geometry is unchanged from the stockers.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:17 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I went from t1 to LG g2 coils and the difference was night and day.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:30 PM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with an adjustable coilover, preferably a double adjustable setup.

I recently switched to the QA1 double adjustable, and love them, you can't lower as much as the Pfadts but you can lower them as much as most suspension guru's recommend.

Night and day handling difference...

Once the adjustable valving and alignment is dialed in you will have go cart like handling AND more comfort than a leaf spring setup.

Be prepared to get some good grippy tires, because once dialed in your chassis will have more grip than your tires if you don't lol

I'm carrying 15 mph more speed through the hard cornering on Ortega Highway than I was before and feel more confidence at the higher speeds now than I did at the lower speeds with the old leaf spring and F45 setup.

A well dialed in coilover system will make you feel more confidence in the car, and on the street, running canyons with oncoming traffics and cliff's on either side, a more settled, confidence inspiring setup equals more speed and more fun.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:41 PM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an aside, the my build challenge for this car was to build a car for less than $40k including the cost of the car that performed as well in every area as most Porsches or Ferrari's, so I went with the $1,500 QA1 setup instead of the $4,800 Pfadt setup, and am really happy with the QA1's.

But after talking to several suspension Guru's if I had it to do over again I'd probably go with the German built and engineered KW system....it's around $2,600 and by all reports are better engineered and more durable than the much pricier Pfadts.

KW just doesn't market as much in the US so you don't see them used by corvette owners as much.

To give you an idea of the level of detail they put into their shock tuning: A tuner I know ordered a set and KW called them back and said they could not ship the newly designed system for a few more weeks because they had track tested them with a grippier tire compound than most Corvette owners run, and they refused to ship them until they had tested and tuned them with the right tire....gotta love German engineering and attention to detail ;-)
Old 04-20-2013, 02:47 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Thanks to everyone for the imput

Get notified of new replies

To T1 to coilover

Quick Reply: T1 to coilover