C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying plastic trim - technical advice - experience?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 AM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Modifying plastic trim - technical advice - experience?

Does anybody have experience modifying plastic panels like the covers over the seat belt mechanisms in the C5? Or have you had a plastic fabticator do any work for you? If so I'd like to have your expert input.

I have completed a seat swap on my C5 coupe; I installed Recaros from an Evo 9 Lancer on my power seat tracks. It required some thought and modifications to the Vette seat tracks, but it works well and I'm pleased with the results. The only issue is that there is not quite enough room for the seat recline ***** on the outside of each seat; they won't clear the seat belt covers. I was planning on replacing the seat belts with ones from a C6 to lose the bottom inertial reel and make more room and I figured on modding the trim panels to fit and cover things up afterwards. I pulled the seat belt covers off today and noted that there is a lot of room between the top and bottom seat belt reels and with the trim panel off there appears to be enough room for the recliner ****.

Would it be possible to modify the plastic seat belt cover to tuck in to conform to the body in between the upper and lower reels and free up that space? I'd like to have a nice cosmetic job; not just leave off the seat belt cover. Technical advice and experience with plastic mods would be greatly appreciated. Or do you know of any plastics repair/fabrication shop that can perform this type of work?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Last edited by jornahow; 04-02-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 AM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is a long shot, but I'm hoping somebody knows something or someone who can shed some light on this type of plastic mod.

Quick Reply: Modifying plastic trim - technical advice - experience?