C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 AM
George V
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Strange Noise

I am running a 02 with about 425HP at the wheels with a mild cam, (DTE Built) 390 gears and standard drive train.
Question is in the past several months I am experiencing a gear whine or bearing noise when on the gas and it has been getting louder over time. Mostly on the highway when under power, let of the throttle and it goes away. Also quiets down after time, I assume warm up.
Any ideas? Sounds like its coming from the clutch area but makes more sense for the rear gears.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 PM
alankb
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Same here

I have about 50 miles on new 3:90 gears from WCC. I know they don't do their own rebuilding, so don't know where it actually came from. BUT...almost two distinct noises. Low speed sounds like metal on metal brakes. (They're almost new.) Highway speed is a high pitched gear whine. Not real loud, as the heater will drown it out, but irritating none the less!

Could it be inherent to the 3:90 gears? I hope not, but at the same time, I sure don't want to pull the thing back out and send it away!

Amazing performance difference, by the way! Of course, a lot of that has to do with Chucks, COW, tune!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM
George V
Racer

I have had the gears for a while so the gears never made this noise before. I was just reading another post with a whining noise but mine is only when I am on the gas and getting louder so something is going on.

I like the 390’s but doing it again I would do 373’s. With 425 at the wheels I have to shift too quick in 1st and no traction
Old 03-26-2013, 03:05 PM
alankb
Pro

Default Mines an A4

Auto trans here, so there is a huge difference. I had the 3:15 gears before, but could barely spin the tires. Not that I plan on burning up my new Michelins...

I'll get a few miles on the diff and see what the oil looks like, then go from there. Its still freaking winter here in Utah.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 AM
George V
Racer

Anyone have any suggestions as to where a whine would be coming from when on the gas only?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:10 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From the ring an pinion. That is what is under load when on and off the throttle. I have a brand new RPM stage-II diff that makes slight noise when on the throttle. Its very upsetting that new gears are doing this, especially because gear noise is one of the reasons I changed the diff. But its in the car now, working great, and way, way less noticeable than my last diff, so I plan to live with it.
Yes, I was very **** with the break in procedure. Im just beginning to think that few in this world can actually build one of these diffs. GM couldn't even get their own diffs right some of the time. Hence why 3.42 cars are always experiencing gear whine.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

George you mentioned that you have had the gears for a while.
Is that years? I remember some soft gears back in 2004 or 05.
I had gear noise on a set of 3.90 it toke about 9000 miles.
Replaced them and I probably have 30,000 on this set with only the slightest noise.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM
George V
Racer

I was thinking it might be the Diff but sure sounds like its coming from the clutch, or at least up front. I know its hard to tell as the sound could be transmitted along the drive train.
Yes the gears have been several years, probably 10K or more on them. Strange thing is it was fine for a long time but getting worse quick. I even got the hardened gear set micro finish but probably was BS anyway
Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Ya, quiet micro polish thats why mine has had nose since day one. Great sales ploy they have.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:03 PM
George V
Racer

So did your diff noise seem to come from towards the front of the car?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 PM
alankb
Pro

Default Rear

There is no doubt about mine. It's the diff. Might be 'cause mines an auto and doesn't transfer the noise up the driveline.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:42 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Same here.. auto.. hard to say without hearing yours in person
Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 PM
sircampsalot2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had my gears changed in my 4x4 before and had the same thing after about a year, You need to have someone set the lash on them and it will quit whinning
Old 03-28-2013, 12:38 AM
alankb
Pro

Default Mine is a new rebuild from WCC!

If it gets any louder I'll go in there myself,,,,,,as I should have done in the first place! I don't know who built mine, but I know I could've done it better! I just didn't want to take the time. Oh, and all this time and I don't have my $1,200.00 core charge refund yet.

Not bad mouthing WCC yet.......
Old 03-28-2013, 04:52 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

George,

Sorry to hear this. Hope I am not going to find the same thing soon as I installed mine shortly after you did. I did change my fluid twice since installation, once after break in and then a few years later. My Suburban did this for years. Never had any problems with it but it was obnoxious.

Wonder if it could be within the torque tube if it sounds like its coming from the clutch area? Have you tried pulling the shifter boot to get a better idea if it is in the front?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:46 AM
George V
Racer

Hi Bob. I am going to change the fluid and see what happens. Funny thing is the noise decreases after about 15 to 20 minutes on the highway. I have notice this getting louder for a while but the other day my wife finally noticed it. So I figured if it is loud enough for her to notice something must be wrong LOL. I can try removing the shifter boot but it really sounds like a howl coming from the clutch area.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:02 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Take a closer look....

Originally Posted by George V
Hi Bob. I am going to change the fluid and see what happens. Funny thing is the noise decreases after about 15 to 20 minutes on the highway. I have notice this getting louder for a while but the other day my wife finally noticed it. So I figured if it is loud enough for her to notice something must be wrong LOL. I can try removing the shifter boot but it really sounds like a howl coming from the clutch area.
Hey man... Saw your post. Take a closer look....

While noises in the rear end and clutch are far from obscure, The rubber guibos of the

torque tube in the older C5s are drying out from age and heat and I see a bad one making

noise almost every week or so in the shop.

If the diff is not leaking and the fluid looks good, you're probably ok.

Noises in the drivetrain TRAVEL and are difficult to track down.

If you're planning to pull it out and check the clutch, you will be very surprised

at the condition of the quibos. It's also not uncommon to have a bent shaft that continues to

eat guibos......

As time goes on, more and more you're going to find C5s eating quibos and torque tubes.

Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To Strange Noise

Old 03-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

100% on the mark!

I have seen TOO MANY torque tube couplers in the past MONTH ready to fail. They crack and dry out and become out of round. They can cause under load noises and weird vibrations.

Before you get way deep into the drivetrain, Give that a shot!

If they are the stock OEM rubber couplers,, look there first!

Check out this post and look at thread #5 for an example of what Chuck is talking about and what we are seeing on old couplers:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ling-help.html

Bill
Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by George V
Well, if Chuck and Bill are correct, I am likely right behind you with this problem Let us know what you find out.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:42 PM
George V
Racer

Thanks for the replies guys. I have bee away and will dig into it. Sounds like I have to drop the drive train either way

Quick Reply: Strange Noise