C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 AM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 407 Posts

Default Idle issues

Just started having an issue on my 2000 FRC.When I start it,the idle is consistent and right where it should be(about 800 rpm).If I give it any throttle,when I let off the gas the idle goes to about 500 and stays for a few seconds then comes back up.The only thing I have done is fixed a loose clamp on my cold air intake filter.I checked for codes but none were found.It is possible that the computer has to relearn the idle to compensate for the repaired air leak?The leak I repaired was between the air filter and maf sensor.Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 PM
c5vette211
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

Spritz some starter fluid on PCV hoses and air duct connection points and see if your idle goes up. what kind of intake do you have? if there is an issue before the MAF you would most likely throw codes.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Weissy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds alot like some sort of vacuum leak. Just went through that myself, but I'm sure my problem was alot worse. On top of my MAF being bad I had a separation between the upper shell and lower shell of my FAST manifold. The upper was warped and the injectors were melting it a bit too. Also, had a leak on the passenger side valve cover.

Anyway I had the same problem with the idle. When I'd come off the clutch and start giving it revs, it wouldn't rev and would want to die, even if I gave it full throttle. After a few seconds it would finally kick and I'd get power. As the guys before me have said, check everything after the MAF. Also just for the hell of it check the MAF too, it takes awhile before it throws a code, it did for me at least.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Robert1Stock
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same symptoms on my Firebird. I cleaned the MAF, throttle body. Then gave it the ole sea foam motor cleaning idled like a champ from then on. Agree with the guys above though would definately look into the PCV valve and lines first.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:52 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

I will check all PCV hoses and connections again.I use Chevron gas from the same station all the time without any issues.This only happened after the battery went low and I had to charge it.That is when I noticed the loose connection on my Halltech filter.I have cleaned the MAf and throttle body but have only driven in about 30 miles afterward.Hopefully it is something simple I am overlooking.I appreciate the responses and will keep checking all possible issues.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:32 PM
swpowell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the passenger side, lower connection at the throttle body hose.
I have some pictures (below) but I made a mistake on my text. The hose should be labeled 591 not 951.

My hose was just about disintegrated and was sucking air realy bad.
Hope it helps.

Last edited by swpowell; 03-21-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:15 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Just checked all the vacuum hoses and intake connections with starting fluid.No change in it at all.The idle is smooth but it still drops to about 500rpm after I give it some throttle.After about 3 or 4 seconds it comes back to normal.Put some techron in and will drive it and see what happens.I checked for codes and again no codes are showing.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Robert1Stock
Instructor

I would cleanup your air intake. Get some MAF cleaner, and throttle body cleaner. Make sure to get it real good and check that your air filter is nice and clean - then inspect make sure no plastic bag or anything of the sort is causing any blockage that would restrict the air flow.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:31 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

All the above has been done.MAF,throttle body,air intake and filter are all spotless.Even tried a new filter and still no luck.I haven't been able to drive it due to the weather but I put some techron in it and let it run for a few minutes to get it mixed with the gas.I am still plugging away as time permits and I will figure it out eventually,I hope!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Robert1Stock
Instructor

While your running your Techron really open it up and see if that helps at all. It appears you take good care of it so I won't bother with the other standard fluid changes at their regular intervals.

The only other thing that I did on my Firebird was replace the spark plugs so good luck to you sir. Let us know how it goes
Old 03-30-2013, 09:20 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Finally got to drive after the techron was put in.Drove it about 50 miles and it started idling the way it is supposed to.No more idle problems!Wish all problems were this easy to fix.Thanks for everyone's input!!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:43 PM
c5vette211
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

good to hear the end results.

Get notified of new replies

To Idle issues

Quick Reply: Idle issues