C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 FRC Drivetrain Rebuild + Suspension Goodies (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 04:18 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Default 99 FRC Drivetrain Rebuild + Suspension Goodies (Pics)

I'm uploading some pics of my current job for your viewing pleasure.

Installation will include:
LS6 Clutch/PP
Fidanza alum FW
remote bleeder
TOB/Slave
Master cylinder
Pilot Bearing
Torque tube bearings
Torque tube couplers
Poly engine/trans mounts
Differential seals/bearings
3.73 ring and pinion
Carbon clutch packs
high strength belleville washers
2004 z06 sachs shocks
c6z51 sway bars w poly bushings
metal end links
frame rails
rear z06 spring

21.5" high

disconnected battery. removed rear sway bar. exhaust and tunnel removed. wheels removed

tb disconnected

shifter out

suspension and brakes disconencted

lowering the rear and disconnecting electrical connectors. disconnected axles to let the brake lines pass through.

drivetrain out

torque tube

trans/diff

empty cradle

Separating the diff and trans tonight. Diff comes apart this weekend. More to come.

Last edited by SaberD; 06-29-2017 at 02:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SaberD:
Frame77 (09-28-2017), Fulton 1 (07-11-2018), Leenorm1 (12-16-2018)
Old 03-20-2013, 04:27 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts

Thanks.

Always enjoy the DIY projects!

Ron
Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 PM
DooDooBear1999
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures of the whole thing man. I'm REALLY looking forward to this thread.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 PM
kingrobby25
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I would invest in some taller jack stands. I never like to use them at their maximum height.
The following users liked this post:
scott1974 (02-24-2016)
Old 03-21-2013, 12:16 AM
slvr bulit
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Great job . I did my clutch a few months ago. It looks like your doing a hellevue of a job. Good luck with the rest of it
Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Excellent documentation..

What are your plans on fly wheel balance????

Make sure that you match mark the flywheel/crank relationship.

When you reinstall the drivetrain, I found it MUCH EASIER to reinstall the torque tube by its self and then reassemble the TRANS/DIFFERENTIAL as a unit on to the torque tube.

Installing the torque tube first by its self will prevent you from damaging the clutch disk/hub. If you allow the entire unit to hang on the torque tube input shaft before it completly installed into the pilot brg, you can bend the clutch HUB /DISK

I was able to do the job all by my self that way without any issues.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 03-21-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Looks like a good start. Did you do those measurements to build a rolling stand of some sort? If so, I'm with Bill, just put the TT in first then add the trans and diff then add the cradle last. It's very easy that way and the transmission jack is all you need.

6-ton jack stands really are worth the extra money. Way more stable than the little ones. You can also easily go higher if your transmission jack doesn't go low enough to let you pull the parts out from under the car while still on the jack.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:55 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice DIY

Are you following any directions for removing the TT? I will be doing this next month and are looking for directions.

Nice parts list too
Old 03-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Every time that I see this post, I remember something that needs to be done during the reassemble:

Make sure that you do the critical measurements to see if you need a slave cylinder shim and if so, how much shim.

Everyone told me that I had to install the shim when I installed my SPEC clutch. The measurements proved otherwise. NO SHIM was needed on my Z!

You have an EARLY Torque tube. Found out the other day that there are TWO size rubber Gublios.
You need the smaller/thinner ones! 2001+ use the thicker more robust couplers.
Make sure you match mark the phase relationships of the rubber isolators and the parts that they bolt to.

Make sure that the ARROWS on the rubber isolators get installed in the correct directions and use high strength locktite on the bolts.

GIANT Snap ring pliers are a MUST and BE CAREFUL with that snap ring !

Bill
Old 03-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I see that your doing rearend upgrades. If you dont already have improved output shafts and the other hardened parts,, Check out these post.

- C5, ragtopws6 , Upgrading your C5 rear with C6 Z06 guts, : http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-z06-guts.html
-

- C5, Its_Go_Time, Output Shaft Install - Left and Right: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1573407966

If you are installing a new ring and pinion, you can install the improved C6 pinion support. Whos doing your rearend work?

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 03-21-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:35 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
GIANT Snap ring pliers are a MUST and BE CAREFUL with that snap ring !
No snap ring on the early TT. It's bolted together.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:38 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Ive heard of people reinstalling the torque tube separately, and that's probably what i'll do. It will be way too difficult to try and line up the splines and pilot bearing using the trans jack rather than lifting it by hand and wiggling it into place.

I'm going to get the balance checked on the pressure plate and clutch to make sure the items are individually zero balanced and not as an assembly. Also, I'm going to mark the position on the crank and flywheel when I remove them. I'll have a machine shop balance match the new flywheel and put the scribe mark on the new flywheel for me.

I would like to find some taller jack stands, but these still have 2 notches to go until at full height. Any taller, and I'd be spending at least $200 more for a set. I looked high and low for a set of stands, and came to a decision on these.

The measurements I made were just to get a ballpark idea of the angle, but I don't think i'll end up using them since I'll be installing the torque tube separately.

Not really following any directions. I skimmed through Dope's DIY just for the order of removing things so I could get it done faster. This job is actually way easier than it looks. Although I do have a GM service manual for reference in case I get stuck on something.

I'm aware of the slave measurements for shimming. I haven't looked into the measurement process in detail yet, but I read that it was on the Tick performance website. I'm not sure if it's in the service manual, but just in case it's not does anyone have a link to the directions on the Tick website?

I don't plan on making any more power, so the stock output shafts and pinion support will work perfectly. I'll be doing the rear end work. With all the kent moore tools I had to buy, it's going to be about the same price as having someone else do it, but I'd rather have the tools for next time. Also, knowledge is priceless. I plan on having this car for a very long time.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:50 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Well apparently motive didn't put the shims in some of their bearing and seal kits, and I was the lucky recipient of one of these :P. The shims are on their way from the supplier, but I'll have to wait on them before I work on the diff.

I've separated the diff from the trans and drained the fluid. It would have been way easier to drain the fluid while it was in the car. Some nice chunks in there!

Here are my new goals for the weekend:
-remove clutch, pp, flywheel
-clean up all the gunk
-master cylinder
-slave/TOB (may need to be shimmed later)
-Pilot bearing
-rebuild torque tube
-front and rear shocks
-rear spring
-rear end links
-front sway bar
-front end links

Last edited by SaberD; 06-29-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:25 AM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool project. I'll be there sooner or later.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:05 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts

I know you have it up already, and I'm sure you know it's solid, but here is what I did for budget taller jack stands. Added another 3" to the height. I had the jack stands under the hockey pucks.

I also removed the trans dif TT as one assembly. I have to do it all again to replace the TT couplers I should have checked.....doh!
Mine is an A4, so not quite as hard to slide the TT back in with everything assembled, but it was a pain for sure.

BTW....the exh is my mod to tame the Borla stingers a bit. Sounds quite nice.

Ron
Old 03-23-2013, 03:59 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 639 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by SaberD
........Not really following any directions. I skimmed through Dope's DIY just for the order of removing things so I could get it done faster. This job is actually way easier than it looks. ........
Great write up. I expect my day is coming to do this too.

It is good to hear that it is way easier than it looks. What does that mean for time?

We hope to see more as your project continues.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by QCVette
Great write up. I expect my day is coming to do this too.

It is good to hear that it is way easier than it looks. What does that mean for time?

We hope to see more as your project continues.

Thanks.
I really have no idea about time. I've been taking a lot of breaks and not rushing, so I haven't really been keeping track. As far as the drivetrain removal goes, I'd say it took me about 4 hours to get it all out.

Get notified of new replies

To 99 FRC Drivetrain Rebuild + Suspension Goodies (Pics)

Old 03-24-2013, 07:57 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It would take me a month if I had everything I needed on hand! 3/4 of that time would be spent cleaning stuff that will never be seen! OCD when it comes to the Vette!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:03 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Ok so here's an update. I don't feel like doing anything else for today, so I'll leave it where it is.

Cleaned up the cradle and transmission:

Installed a z06 rear spring. Had to clean a few things up. A lot of corrosion.

Installed rear shocks and end links. Saving the sway bar for later after the exhaust goes back on.

rear cradle cleaned up w new shocks, end links, and spring

Time for the front suspension.

04 z06 sachs shocks

getting the coolant and washer fluid reservoirs out of the way for easier access to the top shock nut.

upper control arm out of the way to remove the shock:

what removing the top nut did to my poor 6mm wrench.

Old sway bar removed

the old sway bar

Opted to use teflon for the bushings. Heard a lot of good things about it.

stock z51 vs c6 z51 front

front sway bar, end links, bushings, and shocks installed

clutch/pp/fw removed. still need to remove pilot bearing.

now on to the torque tube. Unfortunately, they gave me 2 of the same bearings, so I'll need to exchange one of them.

rear spindle unbolted and drive shaft assembly removed.

cracked couplers

some junk in the tube, but the snubber looked fine. must be from the couplers.

marked the orientation of the shafts

notice the orientation of the arrows on the couplers. they point in the direction of the bolt.

used the vice to grip the coupler for removal of the bolts

removed the transmission side housing and pressed out rear spindle assembly from the spindle housing

pressed off the rear spindle bearings

you can see where they sent me 2 of the same bearings. Missing the big one. Also shows new bearing pressed on front spindle.

pressed on the front spindle spacer.

more to come...

Last edited by SaberD; 06-29-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

transmission mount

eww

cleaned up the bracket with the wire wheel and painted it. attached it to the poly mount.

the old and the new

You can see the holes the machine shop drilled in the flywheel to match the balance of the original flywheel. I also brought them the pressure plate to neutral balance, and they drilled 2 countersinks in it.

I had to shave some off the pilot bearing puller I got from autozone to fit inside the inner race of the bearing.
I also borrowed a slide hammer from autozone. I didn't return the puller.

The bearing came right out with no problems or slippage. you can see the puller did rip out some of the rollers.

Flywheel and pilot bearing installed. I do not agree that you have to mark the crankshaft and flywheel position, although I did because everyone told me to. All you have to do is line up the hole that is drilled in the flywheel to the one on the crank as you can see in the pic. This way, it will always be mounted in the same orientation, unless for some reason the hole on the oem flywheel wasn't lined up on yours:

clutch and pressure plate installed.

clutch access cover installed.

Still waiting on the torque tube bearing, and I had to order diff shims from the dealer. Stay tuned...

Last edited by SaberD; 06-29-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 99 FRC Drivetrain Rebuild + Suspension Goodies (Pics)