C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Z06 owners being shafted out of a RPO option code?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 12:31 AM
GTP
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Are Z06 owners being shafted out of a RPO option code?

This question arose when driving my 02 Z06 home from Utah a couple weeks back. It turned almost dark outside and I noticed the headlights did not automatically come on. After the trip I posted on the forum in the Z06 section asking what gives. View that post here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=317934

BlueBayou had posted in that thread his BCM was replaced under warranty due to a problem and now he had the automatic headlight option. I took that meaning the BCM was different and gave up.

Well tonight I got bored and sick of the headlights not automatically coming on since I was so used to this option with my 2000 C5. I hooked up the trusty GM Tech2 and started going into the menus. Under the Body menu was a special functions section. Under that option was the ability to reprogram the BCM based on RPO option codes. Under that menu was a list of all the available option codes you could reprogram for. I selected the T82 option for automatic headlights and saved the options. I then powered down the Tech2 and cycled the ignition. I started the car up and released the E-brake and up popped the headlights! I was overjoyed! I went through the DIC and looked for the option to keep the headlights on for a predetermined period of time after the car was shut off but nothing came up. Then turned the car off and the headlights went down! I turned the ignition from on to off with the E-brake released and the headlights kept going up and down. I felt like a little kid with a new toy!

Obviously my first question to GM would be......if the feature is already there why didn’t you enable it? It obviously uses the HUD or electrochromatic mirror light sensor to know if it’s dark out. Wither its politics or something that got overseen I don't know but I am happy with this easy fix.

Here are some pictures to go along with the story. Please excuse the quality.....the flash and the reflective screen on the Tech2 where battling me for a sharp picture. http://members.***.net/gtp4/bcm.jpg http://members.***.net/gtp4/bcm2.jpg http://members.***.net/gtp4/bcm3.jpg

And finally http://members.***.net/gtp4/bcm4.jpg notice the headlight switch in the off position and the headlights up and on!

Thanks,
Aaron Lephart

[Modified by GTP, 8:41 PM 6/17/2002]
Old 06-18-2002, 12:33 AM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Are Z06 owners being shafted out of a RPO option code? (GTP)

I thought that they had it ... maybe it was turned off in the DIC... I dont know how to turn it on or off ... but it can be done ...
Old 06-18-2002, 12:38 AM
SAXN8R
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this is very interesting. I need to get this feature turned on on my car if it is possible. I loved having it on my vert!
Old 06-19-2002, 03:09 AM
GTP
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

An update:

I reprogrammed this feature on a earlier built 2002 Z06 today and got a phone call from the owner tonight saying it worked perfectly. I have a local volunteer with a 2001 Z06 who is coming over Friday to try as well.

Thanks,
Aaron Lephart
Old 06-19-2002, 10:30 AM
Zellow06
Instructor

GTP, where can one purchase the Tech2 programming unit. I just traded my 2000 coupe for a 2002 Z06 and really miss the twilight centenial. :confused:
Old 06-19-2002, 08:29 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Default Re: Are Z06 owners being shafted out of a RPO option code? (MYCOUPE)

GTP, where can one purchase the Tech2 programming unit. I just traded my 2000 coupe for a 2002 Z06 and really miss the twilight centenial. :confused:
I'm not GTP but they are available from any GM parts department. Best scanner around but it's not cheap :eek:

I suggest sitting down or holding onto the counter when you ask the price. A more cost effective option would be to see if you could cajole the dealer into using his Tech2 to turn it on :yesnod:

[Modified by SFVetteman, 7:34 PM 6/19/2002]
Old 06-19-2002, 10:14 PM
thefly
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you then control the how long the lights come on? also does this mean the interior delay can also be set.

hmm. i need to call my dealer.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:29 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Question:

Do any of you have the "Auto Lock"/"Auto Unlock" feature? My 99 Hardtop does not and never has. Drop tops and coupes have it as standard equipment but apparently not the Hardtops. I presume this applies to the Z06's too. I think it pretty cheap of GM to leave it off on the FRC's but yet even a Cavalier (so I heard) has it. For those that may not be familiar with it, this is the feature that you can set (through your DIC) that automatically locks the door(s) when you reach a certain speed and automatically unlocks the door(s) when you stop and turn off the ignition. Just curious as whether or not this feature has ever been added to the 2000 thru 2002 FRC's or not.

Robert
Old 06-20-2002, 05:19 AM
Uncle Bud
Instructor

Default Re: Are Z06 owners being shafted out of a RPO option code? (Tx99FRC)

My 2000 Hardtop has the 'auto door lock/unlock' funtion... it works great.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:22 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Do any of you have the "Auto Lock"/"Auto Unlock" feature?
My '02 Z06 has this feature.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:04 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

Default Re: Are Z06 owners being shafted out of a RPO option code? (Jerry Velders)

Do any of you have the "Auto Lock"/"Auto Unlock" feature?

My '02 Z06 has this feature.
Meeeee toooo.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:52 PM
thefly
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my has the unlock feature in the menu, but i am sure if you didn't have and it is in the pcm, you have it unlocked, which brings me back to my question are earlier:

GTP, now that you unlocked it can you control it through the dic?

Get notified of new replies

To Are Z06 owners being shafted out of a RPO option code?

Quick Reply: Are Z06 owners being shafted out of a RPO option code?